Jerk Tilapia & Vegetable Fritters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerk Tilapia & Vegetable Fritters

This idea started out heading towards stuffing into links for sausages, but after frying one up with Panko flakes, ended up right there, as Fritters, though most certainly could be stuffed into links if desired. They were Excellent & a great way to spice up the fairly neutral taste of Tilapia. After reading Doctor Phreaks thread yesterday on diet & exercise & changes, thought I would try my hand at some healthier alternatives & although they were fried in a little EVOO, the ingredient list passes the test.

Started with 6 Tilapia Loins from Costco which we get frozen & vacuum packed. Vegetables include: Zuccini, Mushrooms, Garlic, Celery, White Onion & 3 Jalapenos (seeds, veins & all).... then sauted down a little and added about 2T Reveo Jamaican Jerk Seasoning & let cool. (The saute step was in thinking the softening process would make the Vegetables mix better with the ground Tilapia & thus make stuffing into casings easier).... Cubed the Tilapia, mixed in the Vegetables & Jerk Seasoning. Ground through medium plate 2 times. Fry tested in EVOO, 1 coated with Panko flakes & 1 without. They were both Great but the crunch of the Panko flakes made that one even better. I did not add any eggs for a binder because I wanted to try them without it & they did stay together pretty good, but an egg would help as a binder if desired. TONS of flavor & the grinding of the Tilapia puts a whole new twist on using it. There is some left melding in the fridge, which might be lunch, or might be stuffed into some hog casings for grilling. Worth a try if your trying to eat healthy, or even if your not & enjoy the bold Jerk style flavors.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fishawn; 02-16-2010, 08:24 PM.
    sigpic

Nice. They look like crab cakes.
    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Thanks Scott. Ya got me thinking now...ouch...
      I dont have a grinder but may be using a food processor or something.
      I'd give ya points but I know they wont let me
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

I was thinking of something similiar when i make my first chicken sausage....

A definite must do with what you did scott....
        Last edited by ALX; 02-16-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Those sound great. I think the fish sausage would have been very unique, but the panko breaded patties sound fantastic.
          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

fish those look good ....and i do have some tilapia at home...might give this a shot.....it would be good with a salad.....kinda of reminds me of salmon patties that my mom use to make long time ago..... for thinkin out of the box
            Mike
            Oklahoma City
            22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
            Weber 22.5 Performer
            GOSM 3405gw
            Boomer Sooner Drum
            Maverick ET-732
            Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
            A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Right on Scott, Absolutely! Salmon patties gonna happen here. Another great idea with tons of possibilities. Points when I get em.

Thanx
              JT
              JT

Comment

Thanks guys...... This is kinda a salmon/steelhead fritter or crab cake gone wild. I've made a lot of these with salmon/steelhed & they are good & pretty mild. This batch got kicked up a couple of notches & would be perfect with a salad. I did not have any fresh lemon or lime, but a lemon or lime-dill sauce on these I think would be perfect, or maybe bacon wrapped then smoked then deep fried?
                sigpic

Comment

Bacon wrapped/deep fried with a pat of butter on top y'all!
                  Thanks for the Paula Deen thing that I gotta flush outta my head now! I need a beer!
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Be lookin right tasty!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I'm for sure on board for the patties, but I don't know about fish sausage. I love tilapia though.

Tom

Comment

nice idea and execution!
                        sigpic
                        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

You always amaze me, Scott!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Yummo! better the next day too... Im just sayin' ;)

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Just beautiful Bud...
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                              X