The road to a wood fired oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The road to a wood fired oven

Good evening everyone. I have been tossing around the thought of a true wood fired oven, in my back yard kitchen kingdom. We, as a family, love to have pizza making parties. And all y'all makin' them homemade pies...that's the last straw! I being BBQ enthusiast, figure what the hey I'm half way there Roasting veggies meat pizza pies and last and most definitely not least... I being a Breadneck™, thought this is the perfect solution, to my other love. Bread Ok so I have been following these dudes and their designs.
    http://www.traditionaloven.com/pizza...wood_oven.html

http://www.ozarkdreams.com/index.htm

I am not a brick mason, but I am now Where there is a will there is a way. So I am 20 hours into the making now. I started Saturday the 13th of February '10. I am shooting for a May finish. Birthday pizza party for the little girl's birthday. I will move along as the extra funds come available and time permits. I hope you all enjoy the build as much as i will.

Here we are with the location picked in our out door kitchen. The blocks are the blocks we used to roast the pig on New Years. 8x8x16 blocks

layout chalked onto the 4" thick concrete patio.

holes drilled and rebar epoxied into the concrete, for reinforcement.

Block laying in the process

Block laying completed. I used a commercial grade mortar. This mortar can reach 3500 psi if applied correctly and cured correctly.

this is the backside view of the oven base. the large square area will be the oven base area.

directly under the oven base area, there is a large open area. This will be used to store woods among other things.

The lay out, rebar and block laying completed on 2/13/10

Sunday 2/14/10 Race day! Time to break out the cement mixer and grout the block cells.

90° rebar tie ins added for the counter top.

plywood decking to start the forming stage, for the counter top.

Carpentry 101

counter sides formed, ledgers formed and supported. 10" ledger along the entire back side. 6" ledger on the immediate front of the oven base. The rest of the ledgers are 4.5". The ledger is the counter top over hang.

This going to be every bit of a6" step that will tie into the existing counter top. The oven hearth tops out at 33 square feet.

Well...you know I had to slip this in there...lol My wife and oldest son tending to some spares and dinos I had on the reverse flow. Yeehaw! Life is good today!

The backside again with the 10" overhang formed.T.V in the background with the race on!! Forming completed 2/14/10

Crushed fire brick covering the decking before concrete is poured. Shooting for an refractory/insulating result in the hearth. Tuesday 2/16/10

#4 rebar or 1/2" rebar tied in place and connecting to the existing counter top. 6x6x10x10 wire mesh mat tied to the top of the rebar. Completed forming

5000 lb. ready mix bag concrete.

Color added to the mixing water, in the concrete mixer. This color is deceiving. It looks red, but once the 4- 60 lb. bags I added to the mixer at a time it becomes a tan or buff color. It is a concrete color powder I used.

bit more of fire brick,crushed, added to the mix.

Using a large concrete vibrator to agitate the concrete around the steel reinforcement and into the corners of the form work.

Striking off the concrete in a sawing fashion, as to keep the surface flat as possible. Working towards the step in the counters.

Pour completed

Additional liquid color added to the surface of the counter. A mix of red and brown 30/70 Used the rod to strike it off multiple more times working the color into the surface and insuring a flat surface.

Color likeness to the existing counters achieved. Hell yeh I love it when a plan comes together!

Concrete in the final hardening stage.

Once the concrete cannot provide any more cream or butter as we call it in the finishing/troweling stages, I spray kerosene on the surface and it provides just enough cream for a slick finish. Pour finished 2/16/10

The glazed look in these last three photos are from the kerosene finish. They remain to this day and will not affect anything else. The counters still remain formed in the curing process. Watering everyday to get a good slow cure.

thank you for looking at my oven build in progress.
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

really nice build.......you will love your oven. can't wait to see more!
    sigpic
    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Ryan, your bbq-party-soon 2B pizza oven areas is one of the coolest outdoor areas I have seen! Great Job! for being the Fearless I can build it guy I wish I was
      Last edited by Fishawn; 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Very cool! Enjoying this very much Ryan. Thanx.

JT
        JT

Comment

Get on it Hot Rod! Man that is just awesome!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks great, you did a hell of a job. I'm still dreaming of mine combo oven, someday.

Comment

Dang Ryan, that is awesome!!! Great job my friend!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That's fantastic, Ryan! I can't show this to my wife. She keeps talking about having an outdoor pizza oven like they use in Italy. I'll be watching the rest of your build.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Wow, Ryan, you've been busy!! Whaddya mean your not a brick mason? Looks pretty good to me.

Looks awesome.

Keep us posted.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Great start Uncle Honky. A friend of a friend built one last year (Ozark dreams version) he just loves it. All the best on the build Bud...
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    KCBS CBJ

Comment

That is a kick @ss build. Great step by step of the process. I will also be watching for your progress as it comes along. Awesome!!
                      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Speechless...
                        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

How cool, all the enjoyment you will reap from your outdoor stuff.my kids are pizza eating fools breakfast lunch and diner.
                          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I bow to you
                            2-22.5'' weber
                            1-18'' weber
                            1 smokey joe
                            22.5'' wsm
                            24'' smoke vault
                            1-outhouse
                            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Envious...Very envious...
                              Although in my climate it wouldnt be used as much as yours will be.
                              Cant wait to see it in action...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X