Smoked Onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Onions

well I thought we had a place for smoked veggies.

was wondering if any one has smoked onions then froze them for later use.
    I am sure you can not smoke one whole. so I was thinking using my mandoline slicer doing several pounds sliced and seperated then in one of the smoking baskets put them in the smoker in a cold spot (low heat area) for a hour or two do not want them to dry out.give em a shuffle every now and then.
    If it works out. should be great in soups and even salads and topping for tacos and burritos.
    camera will be rollin when I get to itjust need it to up load. I think the puppy chewed the port thingie.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

I have smoked them and dehydrated for a powder....Never done a smoke and then freeze though...

Comment

I've had some pretty good luck with the onions. I use one of those apple corer things through the onion, drizzle a bit of olive oil over it, a touch of salt & pepper and into the smoker. Vac-pak and into the freezer.

sigpic
      New Braunfels Bandera
      New Braunfels Hondo
      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
      1-26" Weber Kettle
      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

i did some stuffed onions which i smoked... they are pretty awesome too. if you have any sweet ones give this a try.
        http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1554

interesting idea on having smoked onions on hand for use during the week, maybe take it a step further and then dehydrate them???

let us know what ya do and how they turn out!!!
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Virtually every time we get together and grill, we throw onions and garlic in foil with some olive oil and just let it do it's thing. It comes out sweet and mellow and yes it freezes up great for soup. Everytime we get together, I do up a batch of garbage beans with the left over sausages, tri tip, pork chops, onions, garlic, whatever, from the previous grill and it's one of the first things people dive into. No reason they wouldn't smoke up great.

JT
          JT

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
            i did some stuffed onions which i smoked... they are pretty awesome too. if you have any sweet ones give this a try.
            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1554

interesting idea on having smoked onions on hand for use during the week, maybe take it a step further and then dehydrate them???

let us know what ya do and how they turn out!!!
            Erain, that's an awesome post! Definately gonna try that, thanks!
            JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
              Erain, that's an awesome post! Definately gonna try that, thanks!
              Those things are really good WF. The last time I made them, I poured some ranch dressing over it and dug in.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

oh yea, when ever we grill which is often. we 1/4 the big onions and try differnt herbs and spice either evoo or butter, normally done wrapped in foil and they go fast. I enjoy the out side burnt lookin parts.
                am going to try unfoiled and basting. plus a basket full, sliced and seperated. nothing added to them. see what happens.
                sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

i just cut them in 1/2 separate them a little and hit them with olive oil and they come out great......i use them for salsa and other things.
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

We cut them in rings. Add butter and garlic in a aluminum pan and smoke. Try it once!
                    SCOTT

Comment

Working...
                    X