Charro's Tex-Mex Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charro's Tex-Mex Beans

Saw this on the PBS program Primal Grill. Haven't tried it yet, but thought I would post it here and see if anyone has tried it yet. As soon as our weather decides it isn't going to dump snow and ice on us I'll be hitting the smoker with lots of good stuff;

CHARROS (TEX-MEX BEANS)

Place of Origin : Texas
    Serves 8-10

Texas-style brisket or ribs without charros is a little like a cowboy without a Stetson hat or Tony Romas. These soulful spicy pinto beans turn up wherever briskets or ribs are roasted to smoky perfection or cabritos (baby goats) come off the turn spit crackling crisp. Native to northern Mexico, charros have become an essential part of Texas barbecue. But unlike the sweet baked beans served with Southern-style barbecue, charros contain not a whit of sugar-which makes them the perfect accompaniment to beef. A simple version might contain a little onion or jalapeno for flavor; the following recipe offers a tongue tingling blast of bacon, tomato, and chilies. By the way, don’t be surprised by the soupy consistency of the beans: charros are always served with lots of flavorful broth.

Tips: The purist will want to start with dry pinto beans and cook them from scratch. Not only does this give you the satisfaction of doing the job right. You can also control the sodium (most canned beans are off the chart in salt content) and you get a wonderful bean broth. However, in our hurried age, not everyone will have the time to cook dried beans, so I offer a highly tasty version of charros made with canned beans below.

1 pound (2cups) dried pinto beans
    1 medium onion, cut in half
    2 bay leaves
    2 cloves
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

To finish the charros:
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
    3 strips bacon, cut crosswise into strips
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
    2 to 4 jalapeno chilies, seeded and diced (for spicier charros leave the seeds in)
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Spread the beans on a baking sheet and pick through them, removing any twigs or pebbles. Rinse the beans in a colander. Place in a large bowl with cold water to cover by 4 inches. Soak the beans in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
    2. Drain the beans in a colander, rinse well, and place them in a large pot with water to cover by 4 inches. Pin the bay leaves to the onion halves with cloves and add to the beans. Gradually bring the beans to a boil. Reduce the heat and gently simmer the beans, loosely covered, until tender (you should be able to crush one between your thumb and forefinger.) The beans should be soupy, but not watery. Add a little salt and pepper.
    3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the bacon and cook until lightly browned, 3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomato, jalapenos, and cilantro and cook until the tomato juices have evaporated, 3 minutes. Stir the mixture into the beans and simmer for 10 minutes. Correct the seasoning, adding the salt and pepper to taste: the beans should be highly seasoned. Serve the charros in small bowls (to hold the broth.)

SUB-RECIPE QUICK CHARROS
    Try to find a low sodium bean for this recipe. The best place to look for low sodium beans is at a natural foods store.

Serves 8 to 10

1. 15 ounce cans cooked pinto beans
    2. 2 cups chicken or veal stock (for really great charros, used smoked chicken stock)

To finish the charros:
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
    3 strips bacon, cut crosswise into strips
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
    2 to 4 jalapeno chilies, seeded and finely chopped (for spicier charros, leave the seeds in.)
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

1.Rinse the beans in a colander under cold running water. (This removes some of the excess salt.) Transfer the beans to a saucepan and add the stock. Simmer for 5 minutes.

2. Cook the flavorings as described in Step 3 above. Finish the beans as described above, adding plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
    sigpic

Thta is one tasty way of cooking pintos.
    GOSM Big Block
    Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
    Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
    Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

So have ya tried this before?
      sigpic

Comment

Since I'm not a brisket fan, I'll wait until my next tri-tip to give this a shot. This recipe can also be found in Raichlens book; BBQ USA Page 639 with the 30 minute version on Page 641.
        sigpic
        New Braunfels Bandera
        New Braunfels Hondo
        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
        1-26" Weber Kettle
        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Sounds good Mikey. So just where is half-way between lost and found? Are closer to lost or found?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
            Since I'm not a brisket fan, I'll wait until my next tri-tip to give this a shot. This recipe can also be found in Raichlens book; BBQ USA Page 639 with the 30 minute version on Page 641.

His Primal Grill show was pretty good. Might have to start watching it every Saturday. He has lots of smokers, pellet burners, stick burning Lang, even a Big Green Egg. Then he also has them propaane grills that don't officially smoke anything. When that show came on, we had freezing rain and snow coming down. There he was in green surroundings, short sleeve shirt and TBS coming from all them smokers. Made me jealous to be warm and comfortable outside. Hasn't been above 50 here since Dec. 3, hasn't been green here since October.
            sigpic

Comment

Our family *loves* Charro beans. Fell in love with them when we lived in Texas. But they were rarely served with BBQ, by the way. They were a treat at our local "Tex-Mex" (see "Mex") restaurant. Awesome!

Your recipe there is close to what we've done.

These are best done in a Crock Pot, I think.

Start with the dry Pintos and soak 'em, right there in the crock pot. Do it overnight. I'd have to look and see if this is for 1 or 2 lbs of beans, don't remember off the top of my head.

Next day, change out the water before cooking. When you put the liquid back to 'em before cooking, put in 2 cups of V8 juice and 6 cups of Water (so at least 8 cups total liquid.) Add more water if necessary. Your gonna want these "soupy" in the end.

OK. Now add a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic (we keep a jar of it), a big dash of salt and pepper, 2 medium onions coarsely chopped (like big 1" hunks separated,) and 1/2 pound of un-cooked bacon cut into 1" or so squares. Then start the heat, put the lid on, and get 'em cooking.

After about 4 hours on a slow cook (crock pot on "high") start checking the beans for done-ness. When they're getting close (estimate 30 min to 1 hour cooking time left) Add 2 coarsely diced (fresh) tomatoes and a big handful of cilantro. 1/2 a bunch or more. We like lots of cilantro.

I like mine with some fresh green chiles in it to; Clean and chop 2 or 3 fresh ones (get rid of all the seeds and dice them) and put them in with the onions at the start of the cook.

You can also used canned, don't even need to drain them. Just get one of those 1/2 can sizes and dump it in, but do that when you add the tomato if you go that route.

For more kick, add jalepeno or other hot sauces for heat. I've poured in the juices out of a jar of the sliced (pickled?) jalepenos before and thought that was great seasoning but the rest of the family thought it wound up too hot.

So that's the basics. You gotta cook the pintos with the onions and garlic (to soften the onions and flavor the beans) and also with the bacon so it renders some and adds the rich-ness. Tomatoes and cilantro and peppers.

Damn, damn good stuff.
              Simon

Radix Lecti Rex

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                His Primal Grill show was pretty good. Might have to start watching it every Saturday. He has lots of smokers, pellet burners, stick burning Lang, even a Big Green Egg. Then he also has them propaane grills that don't officially smoke anything. When that show came on, we had freezing rain and snow coming down. There he was in green surroundings, short sleeve shirt and TBS coming from all them smokers. Made me jealous to be warm and comfortable outside. Hasn't been above 50 here since Dec. 3, hasn't been green here since October.
                His show is interesting and if I'm not mistaken he lives in Miami, Fl., where I believe the show is taped. I've found a wealth of information in his books and I have a bit o fun tweaking his recipes.
                sigpic
                New Braunfels Bandera
                New Braunfels Hondo
                4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Miami, FL? That must be rough. I could put up with an occassional hurricane to escape this annual white mess. Be a great place to get some orange wood for the smoker thats for sure.
                  sigpic

Comment

Speaking of orange wood, this is where I get mine. http://www.thewoodshedoc.com/main.html?src=%2F
                    At least I have a good source for wood. You might want to check them out and see if the shipping doesn't hurt too much.

sigpic
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    New Braunfels Hondo
                    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                    1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

Working...
                    X