Adding Extra Days to Canadian Bacon Cure Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Extra Days to Canadian Bacon Cure Time

Wife picked up some pork loin sirloin roasts at Safeway tonight so I figure I'll make some more Canadian Bacon. I've got a bit of a timing issue though. They look to be about 1.5" to 2" thick so if I put them curring today, they would be ready to smoke next weekend. But apparently we (she ) has plans and I have been informed that next weekend may (will ) not work for us (me ).

So I'm shooting for the weekend after and the Sell By Date on the package is Wednesday.

So should I:

a) Leave them in the fridge, prep and put them in the cure on Wednesday and cure them for 10 days or

b) Freeze them now, take them out of the freezer on Thursday morning, prep and put them in the cure Friday evening and smoke the following weekend.

I guess we're only talking about 2 extra days curing. Would this make much difference in taste/texture??

Thanks for your help.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

I brine cured my last ones for 10 days and they were perfect. Rub cured a couple BBB's for 10 days too, and they turned out fine.

Tom

Comment

My last one ended up somewhere around 10-12 days also. I would get them in the brine, that way they will be ready sooner
      sigpic

Comment

Its always better to cure a fresher piece of meat. Curing is like a race between the cure and the spoilage. No sense giving the spoilage any head start.

I vote to cure for the extra 2 days.
        Keith

Comment

The longer they age in the brine, the more tender they are also. The last ones I did were almost melt in your mouth tender.

Tom

Comment

2 extra days won't hurt a thing, Dave. And as you are up against the sell by date, I'd have to recommend to git-'em-done as well.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

sell by date is just that, i would get in the cure just in case the off chance... that you have an opportunity to smoke next weekend. and like the others said i dont believe either a few extra days in cure in the frige is gonna hurt you or be a negative in any way. good luck cant wait for the post
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Last year I cured a butt ham, after cureing I let it dry in the fridge for something like 80 hours before smoke. I'll have to look that post up again cuz the Easter bunny is on his way.

here it is if you wanna check it out.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1690
                Last edited by SmokinLee; 02-21-2010, 07:24 AM.

Comment

a) cure now and smoke whenever.

I've gone a week or two over finished time a couple of times - makes no real difference :-)
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Brine, eh? Sounds interesting.

Okay, the TQ instructions say 1 cup of TQ per 4 cups of water. Do you then just fully submerge the meat in the container for the cure period? Do rotate the meat? Can you add spices to the brine like you would to a dry cure? If so, do you just use the amount per pound of meat ratios that you would use for a dry cure?

Thanks.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                      Brine, eh? Sounds interesting.

Okay, the TQ instructions say 1 cup of TQ per 4 cups of water. Do you then just fully submerge the meat in the container for the cure period? Do rotate the meat? Can you add spices to the brine like you would to a dry cure? If so, do you just use the amount per pound of meat ratios that you would use for a dry cure?

Thanks.

Dave
                      Here's what I do Dave.

- 1 Gallon water
                      - 3 oz Prague Powder #1. Morton's TenderQuik can be substituted in amount of 1.25 cups, but omit the pickling salt.)
                      - 1 cup Pickling Salt
                      - 3 bay leaves
                      - 1.25 cups brown sugar
                      - 3 garlic cloves
                      - 1 tablespoon juniper berries, slightly crushed
                      - 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns

Put all ingredients in kettle and bring to a hard boil for 10 minutes.
                      Cool to 34°
                      Completely submerge loin for 7 to 8 days.
                      Remove from brine
                      Soak in clean water for 1 hour, changing water in 1/2 hour.
                      Smoke to 155° in cherry. Yum.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        Here's what I do Dave.

- 1 Gallon water
                        - 3 oz Prague Powder #1. Morton's TenderQuik can be substituted in amount of 1.25 cups, but omit the pickling salt.)
                        - 1 cup Pickling Salt
                        - 3 bay leaves
                        - 1.25 cups brown sugar
                        - 3 garlic cloves
                        - 1 tablespoon juniper berries, slightly crushed
                        - 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns

Put all ingredients in kettle and bring to a hard boil for 10 minutes.
                        Cool to 34°
                        Completely submerge loin for 7 to 8 days.
                        Remove from brine
                        Soak in clean water for 1 hour, changing water in 1/2 hour.
                        Smoke to 155° in cherry. Yum.
                        Hang on - if you put the cure in the brine BEFORE you boil - won't it be rendered useless by the boiling ?
                        I mean there's enough salt in there for it to never go off - but surely the cure isn't a factor once it's been heated that much, the nitrite has already converted itself to nitrous acid, which in turn has been broken down by the heat.
                        So wouldn't it make more sense to add the cure AFTER you've boiled and it's cooled down below 100.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          Hang on - if you put the cure in the brine BEFORE you boil - won't it be rendered useless by the boiling ?
                          I mean there's enough salt in there for it to never go off - but surely the cure isn't a factor once it's been heated that much, the nitrite has already converted itself to nitrous acid, which in turn has been broken down by the heat.
                          So wouldn't it make more sense to add the cure AFTER you've boiled and it's cooled down below 100.
                          I thought the same thing when I got this recipe, so I asked the owner of the processing facility that butchers our beef, and he told me that 212° and 10 minutes isn't hot enough or long enough to effect the cure. He also said it's actually a better way to cure because it frees up the nitrite, making osmosis more efficient.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                            I thought the same thing when I got this recipe, so I asked the owner of the processing facility that butchers our beef, and he told me that 212° and 10 minutes isn't hot enough or long enough to effect the cure. He also said it's actually a better way to cure because it frees up the nitrite, making osmosis more efficient.
                            I would be leery of this... "frees up the nitrate" meaning he's using #2, and should really be using #1?

I would be in the camp of adding cure when solution temp is below 150°.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              I would be leery of this... "frees up the nitrate" meaning he's using #2, and should really be using #1?

I would be in the camp of adding cure when solution temp is below 150°.
                              Uh, I said nitrite.
                              I trust this guy knows what he's talking about. The facility has been in his family for 75 years and he actually has a masters degree in chemistry. Besides processing meat, he makes and sells cured products, jerky, sausages, beef, venison, pork, etc, etc. And has the distinction of being the only processing facility in Missouri that has never had a USDA or health code violation.
                              Not to mention the fact that I've used the method, and it works fine.
                              But hey, if it bothers you all, don't use it. I was just explaining the brine that I use. Maybe I should learn to keep my fingers still.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X