Dutch Oven Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch Oven Help

I have been looking at buying a DO for a while now. Since 88s thread got my mind going... i fugured Id ask some basic help, since I have no experiance with them.

I have noticed there are many different sizes, some with flat tops, some with domed tops, and some with legs. It has made me reolize I have no idea what im after. I am not planning on cooking enough for an army, but it would be nice to cook for 6 or so.

anyway... I was hoping some of you experianced guys could give me some advice on what to look for. Your opinions of some vs. others. Just anything that might help me decide.

thanks in advance!

This is the one Louie & I have.
    http://www.dutchovencookware.com/lod...oven-deep.html
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

This is just my opinion. (everyone has one)
      I like the one with out the legs but with the flat top as then you can use them on the stove at home or an electric burner. If you want to use charcoal go to Lowes or HD and get three pieces of HD conduit and drill hole in one end and bolt together and add an S-hook at the top then a chain and another
      S-hook and you have a tripod that is adjustable with the chain and S-hooks.

Check at Tractor Supply they carry Lodge DO's.

DO NOT BUY ONE MADE IN CHINA.
      Last edited by Eagle; 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM.
      Eagle

Comment

Kinda new at the DO thing too, I haven't used one in years but I did just get one again about a month ago.

So, to answer your question there are two basic kinds of DOs, a camp DO, and a kitchen DO. The camp ones are the ones with legs and a somewhat flat top with a ridge around the end. The legs are so you can set them over hot coals without having to set them directly on the coals. And the lip on the lid is so that you can put coals on the lid and not worry so much about ashes getting into your food when you take the lid off.

The kitchen kind has no legs and a rounder top and is meant to be put in a regular oven.

From what I've seen for cooking for six or so you'll probably be looking at a 14", depending on what you want to cook.

Anyway, I'm sure someone with a little more experience than me will chime in shortly and set ya on the right path.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

If yer gonna cook with coals er charcoal, yall wanna get one with a rimmed lid an the legs. Ifin not, then get one without. 14" would be the smallest I'd go fer 6 folk.

Lodge er campchef be the two I buy.
          Niether company recommend hangin an oven from the bail wire cause they can bend from the wieght an heat.
          sigpic

Comment

what tip said.............

also, he uses a nice setup, that he turned my neighbor onto........

a gav. bucket, with a disc on top of that.......and set the do on that......the hole in the disc will allow ashes to fall into the bucket, without worrying about a fire hazard.

this is a disc from the farm implement, for you that dind't know what i am talkig about.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Here be my setup, usein my newest camp chef oven.

Under that disc is a metal bucket, galvanized be fine cause ya ain't buildin a fire in it, it be there ta catch the ash's. Ya don't burn the ground an ya ain't usein up space in the fire ring either. Used discs er cheap, but ya can buy a new one ifin ya have ta. This oven has the center cone fer faster cookin.
              sigpic

Comment

well thanks for all the good info thus far. I was thinking a 8qt (12 or14 in) would be gods plenty, but I dont have any experiance. I like all the info and have learned a lot so far.

tip, your set up is nice looking and im sure I can get a disc for nothin. Is there just the one hole in it or did you drill several for the ash drop?

I gues I can expect to pay 70 to 120 bucke eh?

I also like the tripod idea, would be great over the ol camp fire.

I would still love to hear any other info anyone has to offer. I wont be rushing in to buy one, but am excited to get one soon!

thanks again for all the good info!

Comment

Nope just the one hole, although ya could drill more ifin ya wanted, never needed to though.

It's an investment, a good en will heat even an last fer ever. Cheap ones the lids don't fit right somtimes an ya gotta watch fer castin flaws.

Cabela's has some good sales somtimes an most other stores should as spring gets a bit closer.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle View Post
                    This is just my opinion. (everyone has one)
                    I like the one with out the legs but with the flat top as then you can use them on the stove at home or an electric burner. If you want to use charcoal go to Lowes or HD and get three pieces of HD conduit and drill hole in one end and bolt together and add an S-hook at the top then a chain and another
                    S-hook and you have a tripod that is adjustable with the chain and S-hooks.

Check at Tractor Supply they carry Lodge DO's.

DO NOT BUY ONE MADE IN CHINA.
                    Scuze me for being a dumb city boy but how do you bolt 3 legs together with one hole?

Somethin I'm not followin bout that.

Splain please.

Comment

Fireguy, discs are cheap. Not even sure what I have been paying I'll have to check. But next time your in a rural area, maybe stop and ask somebody if they have some jagged disc they don't want no more. Heck I might have a few laying around here. I am kind of cheap though. I heat up and grind them a little and re-use. But I believe if you go down to your local JD or Case implement dealer you could get a 14" disc for around $20, I can't see me paying more than that. But you never know. These tractor parts are getting expensive anymore. I remember a few years ago, I sheared off 8 of them all at once. Turned out the good deal I got on them was a bad deal, made in china.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
                        Scuze me for being a dumb city boy but how do you bolt 3 legs together with one hole?

Somethin I'm not followin bout that.

Splain please.
                        drill a hole through the side a each pipe near the top, then run one bolt through all the holes, makes a tripod. Can be done with brackets too ifin ya wanna bend em up.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X