almond smoked cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• almond smoked cheese

Not much new to look at or talk about other than the fact that I used almond nut shells to smoke the cheese. I usually use pistacio shells but had almonds so why not give it try...right?

the shells

I was only willing to risk 1 pound of cheddar on this experiment. I like to set it in the fridge unwrapped overnight. The dried surface seems to take the smoke flavor well. The cracked surface usually goes away while the cheese sleeps in the fridge after the smoke.

Not much color change but this stuff smells teriffic. Might turn out better than pistacio.

Its only been in the fridge a week but I can hear it calling my name..."Craig,Eat me..."
    So I think I will
    Craig
    sigpic

Crap....now i gotta save my nut shells......If it passes the smell test it sounds like a winner....

Comment

It is a winner...The smoke is subtle but not too...Goes well with the extra sharp cheddar...now I want to try it with some milder cheeses...

Wish I could find some almond wood. Bet it would go good with ribs.
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

I can vouch for almond wood, haven't tried it on cheese, but everything else is awesome.

JT
        JT

Comment

He heee....an excuse for me ta drink beer & crack some shell's to save. Bet it is real good!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
            He heee....an excuse for me ta drink beer & crack some shell's to save. Bet it is real good!
            Yup! Gotta go to the store and get some more of both...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

and i just hade a big bag of stacios, take em ice fishing with me, throw the shells on the ice inside the flip up. gets slippery and the shells give you traction. i was lookin at them spent shells and thinking... wonder if they work for smoking... next time will have to save some. nice looking cheese craig!!!
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X