Venison CB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison CB?

Not sure what to call it. Took the backstraps from the road kill and cut them into four 1 pound pieces. Worked out nicely. Curing now with Morton's TQ, garlic powder and onion powder. Should be ready to smoke this weekend.

Just got some pecan. Might try that this time. Any suggestions on IT? Same as regular CB?
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Never done any venison CB, but sounds like you are on the right track to me & that should be pretty good. I would think be carefull on the smoke time, as not to dry it out too much ?????
    sigpic

Comment

I'd say yep on temps. 140-150 range should do ya well... Mmm lunchmeat!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        I'd say yep on temps. 140-150 range should do ya well... Mmm lunchmeat!
        Thanks. Figured, but didn't hurt to ask.
        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
        New Braunfels Bandera
        UniFlame Gas Grill
        Lil Chief

Comment

I was going to do one as well Ray... Just never got around to it.. Looking forward to the finished product..
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I would guess RR. I hope it turns out great for'ya...
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Rowdy,
              You'll have to keep us updated on this. It's gotta be good!

PS - Like your Sign On!

Comment

Similar to how I did mine I added brown sugar to the brine and wrapped in bacon while smoking .Turned out great .
                Bill
                There's room for all of Gods creatures.....Right next to my mashed Potatoes

Comment

I prefer to make it into venison Pastrami Very yummy, Basically the same process but different spices in the cureing brine.
                  Col. Big Guy

Comment

Well, been curing for about 8 days. Finally got a chance to smoke them tonight. Rinsed and soaked for about 2 1/2 hours, with 3 or 4 water changes. Fry test was good, so rubbed some CBP on the fatter ones and hit them with the pecan at 225. Checked at about 2 1/2 hours and the thin ones were almost 160. Yikes! Pulled them out quick and checked the others and they were at 136. So left them a little longer. Maybe 3 hours total.

Don't think I'll have any trouble convincing the guys to let me do this more often.
                    Attached Files
                    S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

WOW... Great looking color... I bet it was good too..
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Nice lookin' stuff, that. Yeah- gotta watch the temps on the smaller ones- had the same thing happen to me with some pork loin...
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Dude, those look amazing. I've never smoked venison. I used to use a charcoal smoker so it was a pain in the colder weather. ....but I was gifted a propane smoker last Christmas --- I LOVE IT.....and now, Thank you very much, I can't wait to smoke some venison (providing I am able to drop a deer).
                          http://www.camospace.com/signup/friend_Violator/

http://www.wunderground.com/geo/mini.../Chebanse.html

Comment

Originally posted by VIOLATOR View Post
                            Dude, those look amazing. I've never smoked venison. I used to use a charcoal smoker so it was a pain in the colder weather. ....but I was gifted a propane smoker last Christmas --- I LOVE IT.....and now, Thank you very much, I can't wait to smoke some venison (providing I am able to drop a deer).
                            Thanks. It's hard to justify doing this everytime to the backstraps, but once in awhile. There's a few really good ideas for venison here.
                            S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

That looks good Ray.Hope to try that with some Elk this year.
                              sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Working...
                              X