Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WALLE - Retro'ed and Re-Fit!

Well,
    It's been a while since I posted anything - busy with the job, AND been working on insulating my smoker. Bigger job that I thought it would be, so I figured I would share.

Mission: Add 1" of super wool to the smoker.
    Picked up my order last Friday

Using angle on the bottom to hold a sleeve for the entire smoker

Then the weather set in...

Finally got back to it this weekend.
    Had to chop off the stack and the grease drip to get sleeve over them

Then off to the insulation - using 1" nails to hang the Super Wool on

Insulated the door from the inside

Then it was on to the outside.
    Here it is wrapped with SW

At this point, I forgot to snap a lot of shots... It was one hell of a job getting the sleeve down over everthing, but eventually it went.

Dark caught up to me, so I just tacked the lid and the stack on for tonight to keep out the snow that feels like is coming - GOOD, Cuz I'm smoking some chops and sausage tomorrow to test it out!

Thanks for checking out my mod's. Hopefully I'll find some time to get back on my game!
    Tracey

Nice! I will be watching to see performance difference and your comments. Great job!
    sigpic

My Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

Looks good so far Walle. Where did you get your superwool at? How much did you buy and how much? I am just getting ready to buy some kaowool for my backwoods clone, but the seller I was going to go with is no where to be found.
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I bought from a local wood stove business.
        Paid $95 for a 2' x 50' x 1/2" roll - bought two rolls because the 1" stuff was almost $250 per roll...a bit pricey.. but this stuff works. Used it to insulate my fire box and have had absolutely not problems. Paid cash and offered to split the shipping for no sales tax! Folks are hungry, you can probalby get a good deal if you can find someone local.

The only place on the internet I could find required a $500 order.

Comment

Hmm should be able to smoke on that with a pile of used matchstix ;{) Good work!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thats the way to tuck it in and keep it cozy while working for you!
            sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Nice looking retro! At least one of us knows how to use a welder. You better hurry and get it finished. Looks like snow again this morning.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Hey all,
                  Following up on my insulation job. I think this is going to be the S@#&!

My smoker is a converted Stoker-Matic coal stoker, basic premise is that when the PID calls for heat, chipped oak is augered into the fire box located in the bottom middle of my smoker. Then I simply toss in a big chunk of hickory, apple, etc to combo it up with the oak.

In the past, poor WALLE worked herself to death (motor almost constantly running) to get temps over 250*. Once it did hit temp and the auger/blower stopped, temps fell like it was like counting down for a blast to the moon (very long ramps, very short soaks).

That is by far the biggest thing I've noticed - much quicker ramps, and much longer soaks, so the insulation is definitely making a big difference. Second thing I noticed is that I can go to 300* very easy now, same thing at high temp - get's there quick and stays there.

Hopefully here are some better shots in the daylight. Still have some welding and painting to do, but I'm smoking and drinking beer the rest of this day!

BBQ E - you were right - it was a Mother $%&#*& working the sleeve down over it!

thanks for checking out my post.
                  Tracey

Comment

Hey Tracey,

Man, that is some good looking work, and I'm glad it is working for you. Since I built mine and welded each skin in place, I didn't have to custom fit a shell over the top...I bet you said more than a few choice words getting that to go.

for putting this together and making it work. Keep updating this with your impressions as you get some more time in with the mods. I love to hear how these things work out.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

nice job.
                      So what does the thing weigh now ?

Currently got a fabricator working on a quote for a slghtly modified bbqe insulated cabinet smoker.

Be interesting to know what it costs to have one built form scratch (just hope I can afford it lol)
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nice mod! It will be very interesting to see your findings, as you cook some more. Thank you for sharing with us.
                        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          nice job.
                          So what does the thing weigh now ?

Currently got a fabricator working on a quote for a slghtly modified bbqe insulated cabinet smoker.

Be interesting to know what it costs to have one built form scratch (just hope I can afford it lol)
                          CA,
                          Now its about.... FRICK'EN HEAVY!!
                          Honestly, I have no idea, that's why it has the metal wheels... If I crush them, I'll sell it for scrap and have enough scratch to buy something to replace it with!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                            CA,
                            Now its about.... FRICK'EN HEAVY!!
                            Honestly, I have no idea, that's why it has the metal wheels... If I crush them, I'll sell it for scrap and have enough scratch to buy something to replace it with!
                            Hopefully before it breaks thru the crust of the earth, eh?
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                            X