Canadian Bacon Trio on Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Bacon Trio on Deck

I've got three sections of pork loin curing in the fridge waiting to be smoked. Two are ready and the last one will be tomorrow. I'm shooting for a Saturday smoke. If it rains, I'll do it under the patio.

I just used the simple TQ and sugar cure but the final spices are not finalezed yet. I though I would apply a little olive oil to all three and do the first one with a little brown sugar and some coarse ground black pepper. The second one may get a coating of Rich's rub -- a Mad Hunkadian Bacon if you will. Haven't decided on the third yet.

Any suggestions on spice combinations for the third?

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Perhaps a zeek and big guy style cornmeal canadian bacon coating....Just my couple pennies ....

Comment

I did one with Tone's Rosemary Garlic seasoning that came out real good.

sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
        Perhaps a zeek and big guy style cornmeal canadian bacon coating....Just my couple pennies ....
        Oh yeah . . . I forgot about that. Just checked out Zeeker's thread on that. Do you just rub a little olive oil on then drop it in some cornmeal to coat it?

Looks yummy!!

Dave
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Dave I have been wanting to try that cornmeal bacon myself, so if you give it a go, make sure you post what you think!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I'm afraid there is much more to Zeeks CB, than that guys. I asked him about it not too long ago. There is a complete process in which it undergoes. I have it here somewhere. I'll post it if Zeek doesn't beat me to it. Sounds fabulous Dave I'm a huge fan of the CB !!
            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

We call it Peameal or Back bacon up here and the way it's made is pretty much native to Southern Ontario. Peameal Bacon is not suppose to be smoked, it's usually only pan fried. (But I still smoke it anyways). It's CB when we smoke it. We take the fresh loin (Has to be Fresh) and use a Sweet Pickle Brine for about 7 day which gives it a unique flavor, then it's rolled in yellow cornmeal. It's mostly sliced into 1/4" slices and pan fried for breakfast. If you have never tried this pan fried for breakfast you have to. The taste is to die for. Here's a link that shows pretty much how it's done. You can vary the Sweet Pickle Brine to suit your taste.

http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com/2009/...eal-bacon.aspx

My smoked version (CB), after the brine, rub in a little oil and roll the loin in yellow cornmeal and sprinkle with a little rub. Smoker at 240/260 I use oak and fruit wood (Your choice) Mop every hour with your favorite basting Mop till it hits 165. It usually takes around 4 hours. You have two choices, eat right away or store in fridge over night and slice in the morning for a ham like slice. I do both and love it. You have to try the pan fry as well as the smoked version it's amazing.
              Last edited by Zeeker; 03-04-2010, 06:35 PM.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              KCBS CBJ

Comment

I can vouch for the fact that zeeks bacon is excellent, my sister said so lol
                And while she's been in canada for nearly 25 years, she was weaned on german and english bacon ;-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Zeek. Sounds like one I'll have to try next time around to make it authentic.

Maybe I'll still roll one in cornmeal. It just won't be legit.

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

Thanks from me too zeek...I think i will try the corn meal too,but on a fattie as a crust and then do the real deal on a loin....Maybe use some hunky etc. in the cornmeal coated fattie...

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                    Thanks for the clarification Zeek. Sounds like one I'll have to try next time around to make it authentic.

Maybe I'll still roll one in cornmeal. It just won't be legit.

Dave
                    Last edited by ALX; 03-04-2010, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X