Bricks in the chamber??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bricks in the chamber??

Well, after being patient yesterday I was readdy for a full load in my new charbroil. I did some ribs, a chuckie and some abts. Getting temps where I wanted them was doable. I used some bricks to try and control the convection of the heat through the box.The bricks in the middle help to usher the strong heat to the left and right and fill the chamber a bit more evenly. The ones on the end were meant to reduce the excess space on that side of the chamber in hopes of concentrating the convection toward the grill on that side. After a couple of hours they heat up adding to rebound in the chamber after mopping. The last mod I made, or found by accident really. I had like a 3 foot piece of dryer exaust laying around, I put it on the chimney (outside the box) and the temps in the chamber climbed, playing around I removed it and the temps dropped. Were talking like 7 degrees or so but still. I guess the longer pipe slows down the draw??
    The pice were of the chamber at one point when the right side without the firebox was actually hotter than the fire box side. Found that notable.

only food pic I snapped was the ribs(sorry) I was running late.

Beauty eh! If the FB side lower than the other becomes an issue, just open up a couple of the FB side baffle holes.

You will have that pit talking to ya in no time :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I would think the longer stack would increase the air flow, but hardly an expert on the subject. I'm going to try that with my Charbroil Silver and see what gives.
      sigpic

GOSM/propane
      UDS (Cam)/lump
      22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
      Weber Genesis/propane
      Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Nice experiment...how did you put the dryer vent on the exhaust? That will make a difference if it continued straight up or curved down and then back up or just went down.....all that will affect the draw
        Jerod
        GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
          I would think the longer stack would increase the air flow, but hardly an expert on the subject.
          I'm with you. To a certain length and if it was straight, the hot air rising out of the stack would create more draft and suck more combustion air in.

That's why the old wood fired boiler stacks were so tall -- or that's what the old time boiler operators told me anyways.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I had it bentaway from the wind as it was windy that day. The increased flow would acount for more convection I suppose, and if the bricks to the side do in fact help the convection move upward toward the chimney that would explain the temp spike on the right hand side. I know im over thinking this, but, thats what we do no?

Comment

Working...
            X