Curing some BBB...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing some BBB...

went to the store today and they had pork butts for .99lb limit 2 , so i picked up my 2 and made sure i got the biggest ones.....a 10lb which will be used at a later date for some pulled pork and this one is 9lbs and will be used for my buckboard bacon....

opened her up , washed and start mutilating that carcass...as you can see i am no butcher and i am not allowed to have sharp knives here at home because of my ITP....so did the best i could....i then took the pork and cut in half so it would not be as thick

ok next i did my own cure mix , i would like to one day try the hi mountain stuff but i have to go to bass pro shops and its downtown and its a mad house on weekends....so what i got here is 2 tsp of pink salt , 1 Tblsp of blk pepper resto style , 1 TBLsp of lemon pepper , 1 tblsp of onion powder , 1 tblsp of garlic powder , 1 tblsp of spanish style paprika , and 2 tsp of caynne powder...

all of this was mixed with 1 cup of white sugar ( didnt have brown ) and applied liberally over and inside of the butt ( sorry for the blurry pic wife took it )

now its resting in a sealed vac pak bag and will fridge for 10 days ...thinkin of turning over at the 5 day mark what do you think or should i turn over every day....thoughts??......ok well we will see what happens on the 10 or 11 day mark....
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

i always turn every day and leave till most of the liquid that comes out in the first couple of days is mostly readsorbed :-)

what's itp ?
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

what's itp ?[/QUOTE]

CA this will explain better than myself...
      http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/...TP_WhatIs.html
      Last edited by doctor phreak; 03-06-2010, 05:36 PM.
      Mike
      Oklahoma City
      Weber 22.5 Performer
      GOSM 3405gw
      Boomer Sooner Drum
      Maverick ET-732
      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Looking good so far. Don't sweat the small stuff. If your like me you'll end up messin with it just because it's there.
        Keith

Comment

Hey Mike. I have said this before on another thread, but if you are out of brown sugar. Mix by weight 2 to 3 ounces molassis with 1 pound plain ol white sugar in a blender of food process.......Brown Sugar.

Comment

Looks good so far, Mike! I haven't attempted BBB as yet, but will one day. Looking forward to the finished pics.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Great start Mike. All the best...
              ---------------------------------------------------
              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Just my experience, but when I Vac Pac, if it's a nice tight pak, I don't get the juice puddling in the bag, it stays petty much evenly distributed. You can flip it if you want, sure isn't gonna hurt anything. I also like the lack of oxidation(discoloring) when you vac pac. I know it's just cosmetic, but it makes for purtyer pics
                JT

Comment

well here it is after 10 days in the fridge smoked and sliced and fried...
                  tasted pretty good but i messed up and did not think about when i first started....after being fried there is no saltiness to the bacon because i used pink salt and i forgot to add salt to the rub mixture...anywhoo it tasted pretty good and next time i think i will use TQ ....and another big thing i need for next time is a slicer man it is hard to get nice even slices so some of these slices are thin to thick...anyway good exp and we will try again another day....enjoy the pics

Mike
                  Oklahoma City
                  Weber 22.5 Performer
                  GOSM 3405gw
                  Boomer Sooner Drum
                  Maverick ET-732
                  A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Just beautiful Mike. All looks great to me... and to ya for the show...
                    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Didnt know i could drool that much
                      2-22.5'' weber
                      1-18'' weber
                      1 smokey joe
                      22.5'' wsm
                      24'' smoke vault
                      1-outhouse
                      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Yeah...looks awesome....

Comment

Oh....Hell Yeah~! Mikey done goooood~!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks pretty tasty there. I really enjoy that stuff!
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Oh crap! Now I really do have to make some. That's some fine looking bacon.
                              sigpic
                              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                              X