Sourdough Peach Cobbler and Sour Peach Chocolate Chip Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough Peach Cobbler and Sour Peach Chocolate Chip Bread

Alright, you kind and patient folks are probably getting damn tired of my sourdough babble this weekend, so I promise this will be my last project for the weekend.

Was planning on making some peach cobbler to go with dinner when I caught a whiff of my starter in the fridge, so I went for it.

Basic recipe I used - looking for some feed back from you veterans on this.

Sponge - 1 C starter, 2 Cups Bisquick, juice from the peaches (normally use three cups Bis with the drained peach juice). Figured this was as good a place as any to start.
    Covered with plastic and stuck in a warm oven. AGAIN - Damn! this is some good starter! This is what it looked like after just an hour and half.

To that I added 1 C sugar, shake of cinnamon, shake of nutmeg, shake of salt, two eggs, 2 T butter. Mixed them all up and combined with the sponge. Probably added another 2 cups of Bisquick to get it what my normal cobbler batter consistancy is (again, looking for feedback on this - Is sourdough, dough, "wetter" than regular dough/batters?).

Ended up with a ton of batter... so I used what I needed with the peaches, then tossed in a handful of chocolate chips with the other and baked up some sour peach and chocolate chip bread!

This is what I ended up with

Very good - biggest thing I noticed was the flaky crust and bread. The "sour" come through just a touch on the cobbler, but couldn't really taste it the bread.?

Any one else use it this way? Meaning, does it act different if used in deserts? The bread was about twice as high as normal batter.
    Thanks for checking out my last sourdough project ... of the weekend
    Tracey

Dang W....you on it! Nice!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Damn dog you sure have been after all weekend.................. I like what I see, you got any starter left?

to you dude!
      20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
      36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
      22" webber
      several burners
      pool/spa (of course)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thepoolguy View Post
        Damn dog you sure have been after all weekend.................. I like what I see, you got any starter left?

to you dude!
        Thanks, Pool!

Do I have starter left!? I found it stalking my flour bowl! I'm going to have to call Keith and ask him how the hell to call this thing off!

Seriously, I've either been adding back the cup of sponge as directed, or I add 1 C flour 1C warm water, and it about two hours... it's stalking the flour bowl!

Thanks,
        Tracey

Comment

You have way too much ambition, Tracey! I'm either too old or too damn lazy to take on that many projects in a weekend. I have to give you points for making my starter look so good!
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Now that is sweet...I would of NEVER thought of a cobbler.....way to go
            Jerod
            GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
            sigpic

Comment

Lookin good. I used to make cobbler with sourdough, well it was just using the SD biscuit recipe. I just dumped my dead starter today and funny thing is I am planning on making strawberry cobbler tonight.

Comment

Looks very nice....I hope the dang freezes down south didnt kill this years peach crop.....

Comment

Wow Walle, nice Sourdough Peach Cobbler. You sure are on that. All the best...
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  KCBS CBJ

Comment

Looks yummy.
                    Bisquick has it's own leavening ingredient added so I bet that had something to do with why you got so much lift.
                    I've never mixed another leavening ingredient with wild yeast/sourdough, but I've seen lots of recipes doing it. Looks like it worked fine, cool!
                    I don't know if you want to keep that much starter going, I had a hard time with the wet starters and trying to feed everyday once I had a good starter. I find it is much easier to keep a very small firm starter going. Here is a picture of mine.

That's about 66% hydration. I keep it in the fridge until the day before I want to bake (firm starter can keep for weeks without any attention unlike wetter starters) and then I hydrate only how much I'll need for that bake, plus 10 grams extra to keep as the next starter. You can hydrate it and keep it in the fridge for three or four day and bake with it. I usually bake two or three tiimes a week. So, for instancee I will hydrate this now and mix my sponge, then dough, in the morning.
                    TMI?
                    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Great info MO....I dont think i want too much going when i try this...

Originally posted by moselle View Post
                      Looks yummy.
                      Bisquick has it's own leavening ingredient added so I bet that had something to do with why you got so much lift.
                      I've never mixed another leavening ingredient with wild yeast/sourdough, but I've seen lots of recipes doing it. Looks like it worked fine, cool!
                      I don't know if you want to keep that much starter going, I had a hard time with the wet starters and trying to feed everyday once I had a good starter. I find it is much easier to keep a very small firm starter going. Here is a picture of mine.

That's about 66% hydration. I keep it in the fridge until the day before I want to bake (firm starter can keep for weeks without any attention unlike wetter starters) and then I hydrate only how much I'll need for that bake, plus 10 grams extra to keep as the next starter. You can hydrate it and keep it in the fridge for three or four day and bake with it. I usually bake two or three tiimes a week. So, for instancee I will hydrate this now and mix my sponge, then dough, in the morning.
                      TMI?

Comment

Nice Cobbler, I love anything with peaches in it...

Comment

That looks great!... Good place to put a scoop of Ice Cream for me
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                            Looks very nice....I hope the dang freezes down south didnt kill this years peach crop.....
                            Me too! We had almost a month this winter below freezing. The local Extension office already started the buzz that the grapes were done in the area - froze to the ground, and the orchard guys (Palisade peaches) are worried about the peaches. Hope it didn't get them, but my theory is - every year it's something so that they can jack up the prices! Luckily these come from my neighbor's tree!

Everyone else, thanks!

Mo - would be interested in how you got to the de-hydrated starter, and then how you hydrate it back up.

I think this starter is like Keith - Tougher than a boot, couldn't kill it with a stick!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                              Mo - would be interested in how you got to the de-hydrated starter, and then how you hydrate it back up.

I think this starter is like Keith - Tougher than a boot, couldn't kill it with a stick!
                              Once your starter is established it's pretty hard to kill.
                              You can change any starter to any hydration. For instance, if you took one ounce of your starter and mixed it with two ounces of water and three ounces of flour you would have 60% to 66% hydrated starter(depending on the original water content of your starter) . If you did that twice it would be 66%.
                              The % is in relation to the flour content only, not over all in baker's math...you probably knew that
                              If you did 1-1-1 (weight, not mass) starter water flour you would have 100%hydration....and so on.
                              "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Working...
                              X