Bandera Pics and Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandera Pics and Questions

Well, I've got some work ahead of me. It's still real solid and mostly surface rust. Makes two guys really grunt to pick it up. Not like the GOSM. Here's some pics and a lot of questions.

The stack is where the water got into the chamber. It's flopping around. You can see the bolt on the front side. There is another on the rear. There's a flange inside that goes all the way around the bottom. It's bent, allowing the stack to rock. When I pull it out I'll pound it flat, sand it and paint it. But when I put it back in, should I use some silicone or other type stuff to seal it? Weld it in and be done with it? May even redesign the cap so it over hangs and thread the post for a wingnut.

The inside of the chamber is ok, except the bottom. The water pooled up and rusted. There are a few small holes meant for drainage, but afraid to make them any larger because of air flow and temp control. Open to suggestions there. Don't think painting the inside is a good idea. Just remove as much rust as I can and season the heck out of it? Want to look into the heat deflector mod too. I believe the idea is to direct the heat more to the center of the chamber, correct?

The bottom obviously catches a lot of snow. Think a half dozen holes with a hole saw wouldn't hurt. The new place has a carport that will be it's new home, so should solve that too.

The biggest issue I see, is the firebox. The end is supposed to be hinged for clean out and grate adjustment. The hinges fell apart and the end was tack welded in place. Should I bother to repair it right, which is going to be a real job, or have it welded up completely, filling some voids, grind it so it looks decent and paint it up? The only problem I see is ash cleanout.

I know it looks like a lot of work, and maybe I paid too much for it. But, I really like the vertical design rather than the horizontal ones. Sorry about the long post, and all the questions. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

You do have a project on your hands.. But it will be well worth the time and effort you put into it.. It's all about taking the time to rebuild a fine smoker..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Nice find Ray, keep us posted on your restoration.
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah it looks like you got some work ahead of you, but I think it's going to pay off in the long run. I agree on the concept of verticals. It seems to me that a vertical is using the laws of nature and physics for you. Horizontals seem to defy all of that. Don't get me wrong, I really admire all you guys that can make a horizontal sing. It must be an art form.
        sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Let's see if I can help you out and go in order of the pics you posted. 2) The stack just bolts in. Remove it, clean it up, and paint it. If there's some rust holes, weld em up. 3) Throw the water pan in the trash or use it as a flower pot as it doesn't make squat diddly whether it's in there or not. 4) There are 2 things you can do with the bottom; remove the rust and repaint or cut a piece of sheet metal (notch out for the sq tube legs and weld it in all the way around) 5) Replace the hinges and weld up any unwanted holes, then grind smooth & repaint.

These Banderas' are awesome smokers and are much easier to control than a horizontal (imo). I used a piece of 1 1/2"X1 1/2" angle iron for my deflector into the chamber. Works great.

On Edit: You can use a Shop-Vac to clean out the firebox, which is what I use.
          Last edited by Mikey; 03-07-2010, 10:53 PM.
          sigpic
          New Braunfels Bandera
          New Braunfels Hondo
          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
          1-26" Weber Kettle
          24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
          Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

i like it when old things are brought back to a new life.........
            sigpic
            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
              i like it when old things are brought back to a new life.........
              More like abused. Btw, what did you pay for it?
              sigpic
              New Braunfels Bandera
              New Braunfels Hondo
              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
              1-26" Weber Kettle
              24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
              Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

You'll get it fixed up in no time RR...
                ---------------------------------------------------
                I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                KCBS CBJ

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Nice find Ray, keep us posted on your restoration.
                  Very nice find Ray! I have a ton to get done on mine too! I love stained! you will love yours too!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                    On Edit: You can use a Shop-Vac to clean out the firebox, which is what I use.
                    That's what I figured. Not sure which way I'm going with that yet.

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                    More like abused. Btw, what did you pay for it?
                    Paid 150.00 for it. Heck, the GOSM was a little over 100.00 and it won't even compare to this when I'm done with it.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

Looks like a fun project. Keep us posted with pics as your re-build continues.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                      X