Smoked Bone in Turkey Breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Bone in Turkey Breast

I have to admit I have never done a bone in turkey breast before. After I unwrapped it, all it really was is a turkey without any legs/dark meat. This one was 9 lbs and got it on sale for $.99 a lb so I figured I'd give it a shot. My plan was to brine it. I'll admit when I bought it, I didn't look at the label. Went I went to brine it, I noticed it had been packed in a 15% solution. So, I put it in a pot of water to remove the solution. I left it for 8 hours. When I drained it, it was easy to see the color change in the water as well as smelling the solution. I figured it probably already had enough salt in it so when i made the brine ( not technically brine on this one) I didn't add any salt. I just added brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder. a cajun spice powder and some celery seed and let it go over night.

I smoked it with pecan. I started at 275 and let it ramp to 315 degrees with the intent of tenting the bird at 165 internal. To prep it after the brine, I melted 1 stick on unsalted butter and added oregano, parsley and thyme. I injected some of it and then coated the skin with the rest:

I also stuffed the cavity with sliced apples and oranges. I added orange juice to the bottom of the roaster as well. I basted every 30 minutes after the first hour from the drippings in the pan. After 3 hours, she hit 165:

I cut out the breast and then sliced them up for dinner. I have to say, this is by far the most tender and juiciest turkey I have ever done. I did change my recipe from the way I do a whole bird. I think I'm going to stick with this one the next time I do a whole bird and see what happens. I actually tried cutting out the wish bone for my son and it didn't make it. It was too tender in that regard and broke in half. To me, it was a good sign, to my son, disappointment.

The leftovers are in the fridge and I'll run them through the slicer tomorrow for some thin sliced Sammie meat.

Thanks for looking.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Pete, that's about the best looking turkey I've seen in a long time. I have a whole one in the freezer just waiting for that treatment. Thanks!
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Thats one good looking bird there
      2-22.5'' weber
      1-18'' weber
      1 smokey joe
      22.5'' wsm
      24'' smoke vault
      1-outhouse
      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Excellent looking Turkey Abelman...
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

Nice work! Looks like ya got a winning method there for a whole bird too :{)

I got a couple bone ins a while back, and boned them out myself for cured lunchmeat. Talk about a bear to bone out!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I never would have caught the "15% solution" thing. Great save and an excellent heads up for me. Thanx.
            Beautiful bird.

JT
            JT

Comment

Great looking turkey,Pete! That is some of the most juicy meat I have ever seen. On another note... did your son have a bone to pick with ya?¿
              Nice smoke!
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Great Work!.... Beautiful Turkey
                sigpic

Comment

Great moistness on that bird!
                  Keith

Comment

looks fantastic....I need to try the fruit and soon....

Comment

Pete what a great job!
                      That turkey looks very moist and very yummy! I bet it makes some killer sammies too!
                      I love the addition of the oranges, they work extremely well with the herbs you used! Kudos!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

How long till Thanksgiving...?!! You just made it a lot longer, Pete!
                        Wow - very nice looking breast.

Comment

Mmmm...couple of slices of that on white bread with a little Miracle Whip and I'd be set!!!!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Abelman, whats the deal on the salution, why does it need removing? I have smoked them & didn't soak it.

Comment

WoW!!!! Nicest bird I have ever seen!!! Makes me happy to be back!!

Comment

Working...
                              X