Uncovered the Garlic Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncovered the Garlic Today

2 days in 60,s and snow melted...I plant nov.15th last few decades..This gives me optimal root growth with little top growth...Slightly raised hill with 60-40 mix garden soil and my compost with a trench of fertilizer banded 3 inches below roots...

Covered dec.1st with straw to prevent heaving from freezes...

60 foot double row.Cloves are 6x6 inches apart...60% soft neck and 40% hardneck with 5 feet of shallots...

Not great pics...Sun is high and bright this time year...

Still some snow at high end of field

Honeybees are really active now

At least one Queen will try to bolt every year and i will get some pics of the insuing swarm...

Last edited by ALX; 03-08-2010, 11:10 PM.

Pretty friggin awesome
    Nicely done.
    You'll have to keep us in the loop at harvest and Honey time.
    SKOL
    V

Comment

nice setup dude............

CURLING............

looked for a club here in iowa, no such luck

Cheryl, from the Candian curling team.........i am IN love !

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

All looks great for a good year in the garden Bud. All the best...
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

Man you get after it! Mr. Green Thumb
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing that beautiful garden again this year.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Spring is springin' down there. We gotta bit of a wait yet...sigh...
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ya never fail to amaze Alex. Ya got me looking forward to trying again this year and really working at some (more) home grown greens / maters / peppers. It will be a start, but Mrs. Engineer had great success with a small garden last year...I loved it and can't wait to build on that this year. I won't post any pics, because you would flat out laugh, however. Your garden is legendary.
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Looks good, Alex.
                  I also keep a couple rows of garlic going - never thought about covering them up for the winter... may have to do that next year.

By the comments below, I can't wait to see your garden this year.

Comment

So when do they then get ready for harvest?.... All the best bud
                    sigpic

Comment

Depending on the heat....Late june to mid-july buddy....You can tell by the lower leaves/shoots browning and i dig down and check me nuts errr bulbs...I then hang them to cure the skins for 2-3 weeks depending on weather...I have me own for 9 months a year normally...Eat alot of garlic and make me own powders/salts etc...

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      So when do they then get ready for harvest?.... All the best bud

Comment

That's Awesome!.... Your gardening skills kick ass bud!
                        sigpic

Comment

Damit ALX you keep reminding me of my neglegence of planting my garlic last fall. We just had such a wet year and the weeds just took hold plus my lazyness just never got er done. When I did plant it in the previous years it was the best. Looks like a hell of a start.

Comment

Awesome Alex!
                            I can't wait to see the garden explode! Thank you for sharing! Please continue the updates.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Awesome! Good to see the snow melted, for the most part. I do believe garlic is good with EVERYTHING
                              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X