Cheese smoking temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheese smoking temp?

I am new to the cheese smoking concept Amd was wondering if actually need any heat at all when doing this. I smoked my first Batch a few days ago and was able to keep smoke on it for three hours with no heat at all registered on the temp guage. For some reason I just feel I need a little heat to allow he cheese to soften and allow the smoke in. I was reading the other posts prior to trying it and noticed most people were targetting 70 degree mark. Am I just overthinking it or do I need a bit of heat?

For best results smoke the cheese under 100* ... 90* or so would be great.. You would be surprised how fast some cheese takes on the smoke...
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

If temps stay low there is no danger of melting the cheese. Im not sure that heat contributes to smokiness or not. I like to dry my cheese overnite, unwrapped, in the fridge before smoking...Im not sure, but I think that the dryness allows the smoke to do its trick...In less time...I've rarely left cheese in the smoke for more than an hour....
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

The way I have done it in the past and it seems to work the best for me is to let the cheese get to room temp.Then I just use a couple lit briquettes and some chips let it go for a couple hrs.The hard part is letting it sit in the fridge in a zip-loc for a few days I think it helps the flavor alot.Hope this helps

Raymond
        sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
          The hard part is letting it sit in the fridge in a zip-loc for a few days I think it helps the flavor alot.Hope this helps

Raymond
          The longer it rests... the better...

And I dont think I have ever seen mold show up on smoked cheese

Craig
          sigpic

Comment

i have cold smoked under 50 degrees........as long as the wood continues to smolder and give off smoke, you are golden.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Thanks guys I basically did most of what you offered up. It was basically ambient temp. My smoke is big enough that a few briquettes and some chips wont even come close to registering a temp. Cool well I guess it is a waiting game then it is sealed and waiting in the fridge with great anticipation. Might have too make a fresh batch of summer sausage too go with it.

Comment

depending on how strong a smoke flavor and the type of cheese you are smoking, but i do soft/white cheeses about a hour or so. these include gouda, brie, mozz, pepperjack, etc. and i go about 2 hours or so for the yellow/hard cheeses. all the cheddars. if the cheese you want to smoke has a heavy rind/wax, it needs to be removed. on the brie, just take a fork and score in several directions both sides and the edges. good stuff.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Beaver Camp Sausage Company View Post
                  Thanks guys I basically did most of what you offered up. It was basically ambient temp. My smoke is big enough that a few briquettes and some chips wont even come close to registering a temp. Cool well I guess it is a waiting game then it is sealed and waiting in the fridge with great anticipation. Might have too make a fresh batch of summer sausage too go with it.
                  Hey Sausage! Like your handle

You're going to love that cheese. Depending on how much you did, I would strongly recommend that next weekend you start batch #2. That way you will have some a week after you mack down your first batch.

Walking Dude's process is what I've used and have had very good luck with it. I've done sharp cheddar, pepper jack (my favorite), and mozz.

Show us some pictures!!!!
                  Tracey

Comment

and if you want to hot smoke some cheese - that's doable too :-)
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

This is what happens when you 'cold' smoke cheese and forget about it and leave it for 4 hours.

It still tastes great,it's just ugly. I had to use it 'in' dishes, not for cutting. I made beer cheese soup and used some in mashed potatoes and rhudabagas (sp?).
                      "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

What is the recommended time to cold smoke cheese. I did a batch yesterday. The temperature got to 80 degrees and I smoke the cheese for three hours. The smoke smell is very strong. Is this to long?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Savannahsmoker View Post
                          What is the recommended time to cold smoke cheese. I did a batch yesterday. The temperature got to 80 degrees and I smoke the cheese for three hours. The smoke smell is very strong. Is this to long?
                          It really depends on YOUR tastes. If you really like a STRONG smoke, you can smoke it that long. I have several posts and threads on this very subject. Search tool IS your freind.

The white/soft cheeses take smoke more readily, than the yellow/hard cheeses. Also, the longer the cheese sits in the fridge, the stronger the smoke flavor will increase.

I would suggest 1 hour on the whites, and 2.5 hours on the yellow. Let it sit as long as you can.......we all know, its HARD to let good smoked cheese just sit there and rest......LOLOL

then taste. Then the next time you smoke em, you can adjust the times.

as long as you keep smoker temps under a 100, you will be fine.

HTH

d88de

Comment

I would put in a ziploc and leave it for a week.Then try it if it is still to strong cut it back by an hour.I usually go 2 hrs. on cheddar what type of cheese were you smoking?Hope this helps,good stuff.Looks like Walking Dude types faster

Raymond
                            sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Dude's got ya covered. If it's still too stong, after sitting in the fridge for a week, trim the outer edge off and that will help. Then adjust the smoking time next time.
                              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              UniFlame Gas Grill
                              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                              X