WSM 22.5 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSM 22.5 Question

Being that I cannot afford a big layout of cash for a super-smoker right now, I've been looking around at the 22.5 WSM's... really nice units, butt one thing concerns me. The aluminum door/access panel. They seem awfully flimsy for an almost $400.00 smoker.

I stopped at a local hardware on the way home today, and saw one on display where the door was all warped and didn't fit well at all. Is this a common problem with these, or...??? Mind you, this one had not seen any heat yet, and there was already a nasty gap at the top of the door. It could have been a shipping thing, or maybe the trunk monkey that assembled it screwed it up. Anyway, it has me concerned.

Anything I should be aware of?

Also, how accurate/dependable are the stock thermos that come with these buggers? In my past experience with stock units (on other brands), they were crap at best.

Thanks for your thyme!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

I looked & thought about one.....price sux. Decided to go for a UDS, got less than 70 bux in it & that's including the beer~!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I have an 18.5", and the access door should fit tight, it isnt a real heavy gauge, but it is ok. During the winter I have mine on the unit upside down to help with airflow.

The stock therm is accurate for the lid temp. My top grate is about 15 degrees hotter than the lid typically so I run my WSM @ 210-215 on the lid therm.. Once you get used to how the WSM cooks you really dont need thermometers everywhere imho. I just run it, close down the bottom vents as I need to, and let it do its magic. Also from experience you can pretty much tell how hot it is running by putting your hand over the top vent and feel how warm the air is coming out of the smoker.

WSM is a great unit, I have said it before, I gave away or sold all my other smokers when I got it.

good luck with your purchasing decision.
      Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
        I looked & thought about one.....price sux. Decided to go for a UDS, got less than 70 bux in it & that's including the beer~!
        Yeah, I hear ya'. I'm getting closer and closer to building one... problem is, comp season is upon me, and I have other projects ahead of a UDS build... what's a Pop-Pop 2doo...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have the standard, and altho I like it, I would have never got one new. I paid like $30 at a garage sale.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            I have the standard, and altho I like it, I would have never got one new. I paid like $30 at a garage sale.
            Now for $30, I would not even hesitate! When you say standard, is that the 18"er?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I haved used a 22.5 alot phil....I smoke my chipotles on one and have done SIX- 8-10 pound butts at one time....

I always turn the doors upside down,but after camping with my 18 inch i have used a rubber mallet to shape to fit....I have a 10 year old 18 WSM that the door fits not airtight and never effected my steady temps much....Some folks seal the door entirely,but i have never found this necessary....

I always use a probe at grate level and they make gromets that fit in side(that hold grates) ,so you dont crimp your wires...

The 22.5 can be a fuel hog if not doing big smokes....The 18 inchers are very efficent for littler smokes....

All the WSM are minnion machines...Put a stoker on one and they are fantastic...If i make the salisbury comp i will bring one with me....

I have found the smaller models cheap on e-bay etc....

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                Now for $30, I would not even hesitate! When you say standard, is that the 18"er?
                Yep... it's a bit small, tho... I'd pay more for a 22 for sure, but not new price.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Yep... it's a bit small, tho... I'd pay more for a 22 for sure, but not new price.
                  I agree....We got the 22.5 at 300 with shipping and i didnt pay for it...

Usefull though for large batches( catering and smoking peppers etc)...They last forever...

Comment

I'll tell ya', after looking at the WSM's close up, the Smoke-EZ contraption I have is still a damn good deal... like a third of the cost and the same idea. It is 22.5", has two racks, no aluminum door, and sits atop a weber kettle grill. I have gotten as long as a six hour burn out of it (loaded with butts and ribs).

Maybe I'm just getting too anxious, or the looming tax refund is burning a hole in my cranium...

I have to stop confusing me.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I'll tell ya', after looking at the WSM's close up, the Smoke-EZ contraption I have is still a damn good deal... like a third of the cost and the same idea. It is 22.5", has two racks, no aluminum door, and sits atop a weber kettle grill. I have gotten as long as a six hour burn out of it (loaded with butts and ribs).

Maybe I'm just getting too anxious, or the looming tax refund is burning a hole in my cranium...

I have to stop confusing me.

I have run a 22.5 14 plus hours at steady temps on a minnion though...I use a UDS style basket in both....

I can bring a 18 incher to salisbury....I call it my chicken ching machine at comps.....The WSM have to be used to appreciate....They do appear pretty flimsy till used right and the consistent product you can turn out...

Comment

what's a Pop-Pop 2doo...
                        Make mo WIBS
                        20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
                        36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
                        22" webber
                        several burners
                        pool/spa (of course)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                          I have run a 22.5 14 plus hours at steady temps on a minnion though...I use a UDS style basket in both....

I can bring a 18 incher to salisbury....I call it my chicken ching machine at comps.....
                          Cool! 14 hours? Holy crap!

Right now, I don't use a basket in the Weber/Smoke-EZ, butt I thought about it. I have been laying the coals in an arc around the outer diameter of the coal grate, and starting one end. It travels nicely around the perimeter, at a fairly slow rate.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Cool! 14 hours? Holy crap!

Right now, I don't use a basket in the Weber/Smoke-EZ, butt I thought about it. I have been laying the coals in an arc around the outer diameter of the coal grate, and starting one end. It travels nicely around the perimeter, at a fairly slow rate.

Cool thing about the 22.5 WSM is the rottisorie i bought for my kettle fits(with the extender ring) on the 22.5...You can smoke or grill and rotis a huge hunk a meat or buy any other rotis system that fits these rigs...I have done my thanksgiving birds last 10 years on my 18 incher with no water and open vents...2 and 1/2 funnels charcoal runs 350-320 degree 5-6 hours...they make great smoker ovens too...

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                              The WSM have to be used to appreciate....\...

+1, I get 9-10 hours easy out of mine on one ring of lump, even in sub zero temps.

great smoker
                              Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Working...
                              X