??? on cast iron...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? on cast iron...

OK I've read all the stuff on seasoning CI and my pan is well seasoned after many uses...My question is how the hell do you clean it without ruining the season?

We just cooked a fantastic chicken recipie in the CI which finished in the oven. When done, the chicken didnt stick but there is stuck stuff on the sides and bottom of the pan. I scraped all of it that I could with a plastic spatula and rinsed it with hot water. Then I wiped it with a sponge hoping it was clean. Then while still warm I rubbed it some crisco. Is this anywhere close to right?

Another question is how do you store a pan that is always oiled? Mine is covered with foil and on a shelf on the back porch. I dont know what else to do with it...

Geez...I feel like an idiot not knowing this stuff cause, C'mon! They been doin this for centuries! It aint rocket science!
    Craig
    sigpic

If something sticks in mine, I fill with water to cover cooked on particles and simmer until loosened. Wash out with hot water, dry and oil. I store mine with just a paper towel in between pieces.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I do the boil and simmer trick too. Works great for cleaning. I've used an old pillowcase as a storage bag to help keep the oil or soot off of other items.
      sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
        If something sticks in mine, I fill with water to cover cooked on particles and simmer until loosened. Wash out with hot water, dry and oil. I store mine with just a paper towel in between pieces.
        Exactly how I do it too
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Cleaning Your Cast Iron

Cast Iron care starts with the seasoning of the metal, but the second step is to make sure you clean your Cast Iron properly after each use. More often than not, cleaning Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch ovens is much easier than scrubbing pots and pans. For cast iron, the cleaning process is in two steps. First, food is removed and second, maintenance of the protective coating. To remove stuck on food, place some warm clean water into the Cast Iron and heat until almost boiling. Using a plastic mesh scrubber or coarse sponge and No Soap, gently break loose the food and wipe away. After all traces have been removed, rinse with clean warm water. Soap is not recommended because it will break down the protective covering and will get into the pores of the metal to taint the flavor of your next meal.
          After cleaning and rinsing, allow the Cast Iron to air dry. Then heat it over the fire just until it is hot to the touch. Apply a thin coating of oil to both the inside and outside of the Cast Iron and the top and underside of the lid. Allow the Cast Iron to cool completely. If you do not oil the outside of the Cast Iron, then with use, the protective barrier will break down and the oven will start to rust. As a suggestion, it is a good idea to keep a scrubber for cast iron and never use it with soap.
          Eagle

Comment

Thanks to all...seems easy and I knew it had to be...

I still got the storage problem. In my little ol kitchen there aint room for a pan that is oiled inside and out...but thats my problem...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

If you have a DO...keep it vented with a paper towel. As my stuff get's bad nasty on the outside...I use a plastic media blaster to remove it. Doe's not affect the seasoning. Ain't neary put detergent on me iron....
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle View Post
                First, food is removed and second, maintenance of the protective coating. To remove stuck on food, place some warm clean water into the Cast Iron and heat until almost boiling. Using a plastic mesh scrubber or coarse sponge and No Soap, gently break loose the food and wipe away. After all traces have been removed, rinse with clean warm water. Soap is not recommended because it will break down the protective covering and will get into the pores of the metal to taint the flavor of your next meal.
                After cleaning and rinsing, allow the Cast Iron to air dry. Then heat it over the fire just until it is hot to the touch. Apply a thin coating of oil to both the inside and outside of the Cast Iron and the top and underside of the lid. Allow the Cast Iron to cool completely. If you do not oil the outside of the Cast Iron, then with use, the protective barrier will break down and the oven will start to rust. As a suggestion, it is a good idea to keep a scrubber for cast iron and never use it with soap.
                Hello, I am new here and I cook with and collect cast iron.

This is almost exactly how I clean my CI after use. I keep a plastic scrubbing pad under the sink that is void of any soap products to do the scrubbing (see pic).

I use a paper towel with a little lard or crisco while the piece is still hot from drying and then wipe off any excess to keep the season o the piece tip top.

Great site folks, I hope to contribute regularly to this community.

Comment

Hi Marz. Stop over to New Member Introductions and tell us about yourself, your smoker (s), etc. We can give you the proper welcome to the forum. I'll give you mine now:
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Thanks Bassman,

I posted an intro thread.

thanks.

Comment

WHY NO SOAP. I just bought a new 12 inch. My brother burnt beans in our old one to the point they where ash. He left them on a coal fire for 4 hours dad tossed it as it was behind cleaning. The other got dropped when moving and busted the handle off not sure where it went. I got tired of stuck eggs and meat on our nice but still only stainless pans. So I bought a new LODGE 12 inch.
                      Growing up; grandma had them dad had them and so on. Both grandma and dad washed in the sink with soap and hot water then reseasoned. I have always done the same. Something about raw meat and re using the thing I guess.

I find that after cooking unless it is eggs, bacon and a few other things. I clean it with dish soap after this I reheat and dry. then coat in and out with oil. I heat it up till it almost smokes. This give me the same non stick pan everyone gets with no cleaning. Now if something gets burnt in it or is rather hard to get off I will simmer it before cleaning.

Not saying I am right I am sure I am wrong I just have had no issue doing it this way. So whats the reason why not to do it my way.

Comment

Originally posted by marz View Post
                        Great site folks, I hope to contribute regularly to this community.
                        Glad you like it Marz and I hope you contribute as you see fit. Welcome to our addiction.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
                          WHY NO SOAP.

Because it strips the oil off and out of the metal pores... You want to season the pot or pan the first time through... Then over time it builds up to a nice black non stick surface.. Then all you will need to do is run it under hot water and wipe out with a paper towel..
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
                            WHY NO SOAP.
                            Also, the soap gets into said pores...giving you nice suds for your next couple cooks...
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

LOL I have never had that proplem before guys. Guess you guys give me some things to think about.
                              Might have to get me another for the stuff I can not see reeating lol

Ohhh I am headed to stick some leg quarters in the smoker.

Comment

Working...
                              X