Pityfull looking bellys for bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pityfull looking bellys for bacon

My first attempt, and am NOT fingering on the best results...........

meat side of the belly

thickness shot........MAYBE 1/2, MAYBE up to 5/8ths to 3/4's in other parts

rubbed and wrapped........curing this simple.........just tq and brown sugar.....tblsp each........each half weighed in at 2 pounds........and this is WITH the skin on..........WOE IS ME

okay folks.........question.........how long do you think i should let these cure...........no way 7 days, for no thicker than these slabs are........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Be fine..I ain't never done this gig! It's on the do gig! From what I seen, you are there. As Louie say's, calm down baby.....Me ahhhh!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

just what IS a gig anyways? been meaning to ask that. to me, i GIG for frogs!~

my WORRY is, after i take the skin off, my bacon will be less than 1/2 WIDE........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Seems like 3 to 4 days would work, but I don't think it would hurt any to let it go 7. They don't look so bad, nice lean/fat. Just a little thin is all, maybe you will be pleasently surprised.

OK on edit; I typed this message before you posted the skin thing. Id move back to 4 days
        Last edited by SmokinLee; 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

i let em go 7 days, i will have to soak em, cause i know they will be salty

my 2 lb loin, i let go 5 days and was perfect........and it was like 3 diam.

Comment

Steve, I would do 4 - 5 days. Like you said, you can always soak them in cold water (changing the water every 1/2 hour) to pull the salt back out.
            Looks like a great start buddy.
            sigpic

Comment

With the correct amount of cure and salt.... it should not matter Steve. The soak is always an option.

Geez it's nice here :{) Too warm to cure in the garage tho.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                With the correct amount of cure and salt.... it should not matter Steve. The soak is always an option.

Geez it's nice here :{) Too warm to cure in the garage tho.
                like i said, tablespoon each of tq and bs........

where IS the kick button.........i will show you WARM ! ! ! ! !

Comment

Steve,

not sure how I missed this. Dude, Your bacon looks fine. a little thin but who cares, you'll have plenty. 3 - 4 days on the cure I think is fine, 7 wont hurt a thing. Personally I don't think I'd soak them, maybe rinse a bit. I like salt though, but doubt you'll have much if you don't soak.

I'm looking forward to this one buddy. I'll be ordering some more next week.
                  points for finally getting off your butt and doing this.

Comment

They look better than what I have... I cant seem to find any here...
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                      They look better than what I have... I cant seem to find any here...
                      all them hogs in Texas and you can't find any

Comment

I try to only shoot the 60 to 100 lb sows or gilts... Not much in bellies on them..
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                          like i said, tablespoon each of tq and bs........

where IS the kick button.........i will show you WARM ! ! ! ! !
                          Steve, yer usin bullsh*t in yer bacon cure?!

I thought ya saved that just fer here on the forum dude!

Sorry steve, ya left the door wide open on that en, opportunity knocked an I just had ta answer ya know!

Good luck on the bacon buddy!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
                            Steve, yer usin bullsh*t in yer bacon cure?!

I thought ya saved that just fer here on the forum dude!

Sorry steve, ya left the door wide open on that en, opportunity knocked an I just had ta answer ya know!

Good luck on the bacon buddy!
                            HUH !?

Comment

It looks good so far, Steve. I'll be doing the same thing when and if I ever find some bellies.
                              Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
                              Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                              1 Maverick ET-73
                              1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Working...
                              X