bingo time to start building.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bingo time to start building.

We are buying a local construction business. There is alot of stuff we are going through. Trailers, tools blocks this that and so on. The business was just out of start up and the guy is moving remodeling and scrapping some trailers for a friend. There are like 13 mobil homes on the property for us to scrap.
    Well I had thought about cutting one of the trailer frames down getting a tank and making a good size smoker. Though not so sure the trailer frame is the way to go. Well when we show up what do I see but a 500 gallon propane tank sitting there. Not in to bad a shape some rust but that can be dealt with. No real dents or anything. Dad said something about a small desial tank and I made a joke about how it was going to be my new smoker and he said there is a propane tank right there.

So how in the heck do I do this? Any plans idea where should I start. How do I cut it without landing in the next town. I think it is open but could there be some fume still in it or liquid. I know you flush a oil tank but this is propane is that needed. Also what trailer would you recommend? Would you think a trail from could be cut down and welded up to work. I think 12 by 12 would be nice. The smoker on the tongue end a deck and counter top on the side.

So I got a project to do. Not like between college and this new business I need a project but hey I need a real smoker.

good luck on you build
    I am sure there will be people giving you some good ideas soon
    sigpic
    Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
    Great Out doors grill
    Brinkman verticle
    And one great UDS
    Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

check bob ballys build - sounds like the sort of thing you're after.
      he's probably got plans too - doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke (like me) who'd just have a dodgy pencil drawing on a back of an envelope and call it a 'plan' :-)

And there's definitely lots of advice on how to clean out propane tanks around.
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Pretty sure you should wash it out. I've heard of water and a detergent for oil. If it's been open all the better for sure. Gonna need a big firebox!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Might rethink the trailer dimensions though. 12 feet wide is about 3 and a half feet wider than most states allow. And mobile home I-beam is pretty heavy and large, I'd go with 4 X 4 X 1/4 angle, 2 X 4 tube, or 2 X 4 channel. Better yet, find a boat trailer and cut it down. Don't overkill the trailer. That tank looks big, but it's not as heavy as you think. It's well under 1000 lbs.

Tom

Comment

All my experience has been with liquid fuel tanks, ie diesle and Av gas tanks.
            Don't know much about propane tanks and thier volitility. The only liquid that should be in there is some residual oil. I'd still treat it the same just in case. I posted this awhile back, if ya wanta be paraniod like I am
            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6440
            As far as the design goes, I'd start going through all the threads in the smoker section, not just homade ones because a lot of these guys have modified commercially built rigs and you could learn a lot by seeing what they had to fix and why. I wish I had seen that stuff before I did my build. Good luck it's a fun trip. And take lots of pics as you go.

JT
            JT

Comment

Thanks guys. We scrapped out a trailer today and noticed something. When the floor and walls are gone drops the width down alot. properly 4 feet either way, BUT I agree it is to big to heavy and over kill. Though I have a few more questions.

1. Be it a boat trailer or a utility trailer should I mount it on the front, back or middle?
              2. Should I go with one that is 1 or 2 axles?

Besides that for now what should I smoke in it first.

Ohh what in the heck will I find for a smoke box

Comment

any link I can not seem to find it
                Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                check bob ballys build - sounds like the sort of thing you're after.
                he's probably got plans too - doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke (like me) who'd just have a dodgy pencil drawing on a back of an envelope and call it a 'plan' :-)

And there's definitely lots of advice on how to clean out propane tanks around.

Comment

if you can always go with the 2 axle....and make a insulated fire box like a jambo and what ever you smoke first make it a lOt
                  Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
                  Thanks guys. We scrapped out a trailer today and noticed something. When the floor and walls are gone drops the width down alot. properly 4 feet either way, BUT I agree it is to big to heavy and over kill. Though I have a few more questions.

1. Be it a boat trailer or a utility trailer should I mount it on the front, back or middle?
                  2. Should I go with one that is 1 or 2 axles?

Besides that for now what should I smoke in it first.

Ohh what in the heck will I find for a smoke box
                  Jerod
                  GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                  sigpic

Comment

well I had some down time waiting on the guys to swing a trail back to the trash area to nock it down and clean it up so we could torch the trailer down to short pieces.

I walked over to the tank gave it a shake and blowed into it. Sadly I got that good old propane stink. . One of the guys wife came over and looked in it with a cigarette in her mouth

She said is it empty I said yes but there are enough fumes to kill both of us. Maybe not but she needed to get the point seeing how there where open desial tanks around and a torch setup.

I asked everyone if any of them wanted to make 20 bucks and go make the first cut. was all I got.

So plan is to fill it with water and let it sit for a week or so. Drain some of it out and make a cut. Do not worry I will let you know the night before I cut and if I do not report back you know I am in the next county well done.

I saw a good size thick walled steel pip at the scrap yard that would be perfect for the fire box. ohhh I found a great plan ona site. Had 8 pages of directions then real good pics. They looked like someone had some drafting exp. I will post a link when I get on my other laptop.

Comment

Working...
                    X