Gunslinger's Ground Meat Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunslinger's Ground Meat Bacon

Finally got a chance to try this. I've used Curley's bacon seasoning several times, so I'm comparing it to that. Folks, this stuff is better. The general consensus, so far, is that it tastes more like real bacon.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6290

Butcher & Packer sells all the ingredients needed. They also sell maple flavoring. I was hoping it was a powder. It's not. It's maple flavor on a sugar carrier. So.....

My son and I made two batches and followed Gunny's recipe, with only a few changes. Mixed 50/50 venison/pork. One batch we used the maple sugar instead of brown sugar. One cup of water sounded like a lot, so we used 1/2 cup of water. Not sure if that was a good thing. It was hard to get out of the 8 X 8 disposable pans. I'll play around with that a little more. The maple flavor didn't come through in the end, but everyone liked the taste of the original better though. May play around with that too, not sure.

It held together really well, and sliced any thickness I wanted. Even when shaved. Fried up great too. Gonna bring some to the other members of the hunting party to get their opinions. Maybe a few tweaks, but I have no doubt we'll be making it this way from now on.

Thanks Tom!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RowdyRay; 03-23-2010, 06:23 PM.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

OK maybe I gotta try this one...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

That's some fine looking bacon, Ray! I've been meaning to try that for a long time, just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe before summer gets here. That would be some good stuff to take camping. BLTs anyone?
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
        Me as well....nice lookin~!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great looking stuff double R.... I've been wanting to try this & was just about to try it a while ago & it just did'nt happen..... Thanks for reminding us of this great recipe....
          sigpic

Comment

Nice Job on the bacon I have to try that this summer
            sigpic
            Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
            Great Out doors grill
            Brinkman verticle
            And one great UDS
            Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              I agree, that looked interesting AND delicious!
              Unable to get bellies around here for bacon that could be a great alternative.
              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

RowdyRay

Line your pans with ample amount of saran or cling wrap - then the forms will pop right out of the disposable pans. Also makes clean up of those pans a breeze so you can re-use them.

Tanya
                Where to Shop -
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
                https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Just beautiful RR. Kudos...
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  KCBS CBJ

Comment

Fantastic! It's healthier too.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TATONKA3A2 View Post
                      RowdyRay

Line your pans with ample amount of saran or cling wrap - then the forms will pop right out of the disposable pans. Also makes clean up of those pans a breeze so you can re-use them.

Tanya
                      Didn't think of that. Was thinking more along the lines of Pam or similar spray, but didn't want that to contribute to the taste or end product. We've been doing them in the disposable bread tins. The loaves fit much better in the GOSM. Then we slice them the short way and fits in a pan better too. Might be hard to line those. I'll mess with it a bit more. Thank you, Tanya.

Thanks for all the compliments. Tom did the hard work, I just tested it out. Ground meat bacon has become a favorite with the hunting party. Have to get some to a couple more, but so far everyone says it's better than Curley's. Forgot to add the original post, I'll correct that.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Nice job....I will give this a whirl myself....

Comment

RowdyRay
                          If you and Gunslinger say this is better than Curley's, I have to give it a try; yours looks great !!!
                          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                            RowdyRay
                            If you and Gunslinger say this is better than Curley's, I have to give it a try; yours looks great !!!
                            Mossy, make up a 4 lb. batch and try it. You've made enough to make a good comparison. I'm very pleased with the results.
                            S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

I really have a great interest in this. It looks great! Sounds awesome! I could get a kick outta that healthy gig too Right on Ray, thanks for sharing your results!
                              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X