View Full Version : Brining AND Injecting?

DDave
03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Is that redundant? Do you usually do both or just one or the other?

I got a brining bucket in November that I haven't used yet. Got an injector for Christmas that I haven't used yet. So I'm thinking . . . I need to use them. :lol:

My freezer weeps for there is no pulled pork or brisket in there, but weekends have been NUTS lately. And Saturday is my son's Little League Jamboree. But I'm thinking maybe a couple of chickens in the rotisserie on the drum Saturday afternoon or Sunday?

I'm thinking Tip's Slaughterhouse brine and some sort of injection. Haven't figured that part out yet. But do you generally brine AND inject the same piece of meat or just do one or the other? I could get two chickens and brine one and inject the other.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Dave

travcoman45
03-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Dave, sure ya can brine an inject. My brine has an injection with it, ya don't have ta use it, but they sorta compliment each other.

Fer cluckers, personally I just brine, turkeys I brine an inject.

There really ain't no wrong way ta do it.

Let me know if ya need the injection recipe, be glad ta give it to ya.

DDave
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Let me know if ya need the injection recipe, be glad ta give it to ya.

That would be great, Tip.

I'd sure appreciate it. :thumb:

Dave

Richtee
03-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Big hunks need an injection. Hams...real bone in ones. BBB or butt hams...not so much, but you can still assure a quicker and more complete cure by doing so. Deal is...the surface area of the meat exposed to the cure.

With the big "country" hams, you have to inject along the bones and joint to get the cure in quick enough to prevent spoilage.

Commercial bacon is injected... and tumbled - and cures in like 1 day or something.

Kyote
03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I am surpised not more info was passed on.

Like trav said. on the birds. I have a hard time not brining chicken now that I have done it. and the turkeys, I have not injected as yet. just brine. But I do not know if i realy brine. as I have cut the salt almost out of the liquid.
But by goly the turkeys are tasty and moist.
and for me. a brined turkey smoked is pretty good. I have not needed to add any more flavor by injecting any thing else.

on beef and pork I inject the heck out of them. you will have fun making concoctions up and injecting.

Uncle-Honky
03-23-2010, 10:13 PM
I agree with Kyote. I brine chix,turks and butts and wont inject. If I am injecting, I haven't brined the product. Both introduce flavor and moisture. Surely both would not harm it. Like Tip said, One should compliment the other. Shoot i may just have to try it! Great question Dave.

SmokinLee
03-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Most of the time I brine and inject with the same solution. But Tip's injection sounds interesting which would compliment both the meat and the brine. But one thing about cutting out the salt, the brine would pretty much become a marinade of sorts because of the whole osmosis process.

Whisky Fish
03-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Just thinkin out loud here, but brining and curing are not the same thing, right? You brine for flavour and moisture(yeah there is some curing happening there) but you cure for bacteria destruction. You can play around with anything you want to with the flavor and texture that cure provides and brining provides, but we don't let food get to "bad" temps, unless they hit the low temp, low oxygen in a smoker, and then you need a cure. You can do anything you want with fresh meat as long as you don't violate the four hour rule. Am I right on this?

SmokinLee
03-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Your right. I do both flavor brine and brine cure. Just depends what I want.

Just thinkin out loud here, but brining and curing are not the same thing, right? You brine for flavour and moisture(yeah there is some curing happening there) but you cure for bacteria destruction. You can play around with anything you want to with the flavor and texture that cure provides and brining provides, but we don't let food get to "bad" temps, unless they hit the low temp, low oxygen in a smoker, and then you need a cure. You can do anything you want with fresh meat as long as you don't violate the four hour rule. Am I right on this?

chefrob
03-23-2010, 11:34 PM
haven't injected anything but i always brine my birds.......

Fire it up
03-23-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm with Tip, you can brine, you can inject or you can do both.
Can't hurt to add another level of flavor.

Bbqgoddess
03-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Dave I often do both, with yard birds and butts. Steve turned me onto brining butts.. and injecting and they are delicious! I have brined in buttermilk and also then injected with buttermilk... quite YUMMY! give it a try, and I think you will be hooked!

SMOKE FREAK
03-24-2010, 01:43 AM
haven't injected anything but i always brine my birds.......

I only have injected turkeys that were destined for the deep fryer...Never found a need to inject meat on a smoker but Im sure it cant hurt.

Found a recipie that I use for beer can chickens that calls for brine and then marinade...no inject...Its the best I have found...

travcoman45
03-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Here's the injection Dave:

Slaughterhouse Poultry Injection
Pkg Good Seasons Italian Dressing
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Celery Seed
2 TBS melted Butter (non salted)
2 C Apple Cider

BBQ Engineer
03-24-2010, 08:13 AM
I always brine my birds. Lately I have been injecting pork, and since I always make way more injection than is actually required, I just dump it in the bag with the meat. When I squish the air out of the bag it usually leaves a nice layer of "brine" around the butt for it to rest in...so I guess I am doing both. Results have been awesome.

moselle
03-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Dave I often do both, with yard birds and butts. Steve turned me onto brining butts.. and injecting and they are delicious! I have brined in buttermilk and also then injected with buttermilk... quite YUMMY! give it a try, and I think you will be hooked!

Are yoiu injecting and brining chicken and pork in buttermilk? I've never heard of that, tell me more! I've soaked chickens in buttermilk then fried or grilled them but not pork and not injected. Can you tell me what you thought if it please?

moselle
03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
So, isn't brining and marinading different? In my mind a brine is using a heavy salt solution to preserve a product and a marinade is using mostly acid to flavor. No?

scotth
03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
How come it's ok to inject a raw meat, but you cannot put a temperature probe into it until it's over 140*? Is it because you're injecting while the meat is below 40*?

chefrob
03-24-2010, 10:35 AM
How come it's ok to inject a raw meat, but you cannot put a temperature probe into it until it's over 140*? Is it because you're injecting while the meat is below 40*?

with poultry you will be going up to 165 deg and with the butts you will be going higher since most are goung to be pulled.

DDave
03-24-2010, 11:49 AM

It's all about the "Intact Muscle Rule"

Per bbally

Unpunctured, intact muscle need only have the outside 0.5 inch pass through 140 degrees within 4 hours. Something easily done at temps of 200 F or more.

Now if you inject it, you have changed the "intact nature" of the meat and should treat it as ground meat or forced meat. This means the inside temp of the meat must pass through 140 within four hours. Usually requiring a temp of at least 275 F or better.

So . . . with Intact Muscle, you should wait until the outside 1/2" is above 140 before inserting a temp probe. If you do it before that time or you inject, then you need to get the meat through 140 within 4 hours.

Actually I believe the current Food Code calls for 135 but maybe bbally will be along to clarify.

Dave

Richtee
03-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Now...if yer doing say a prime rib and pulling it at 125- it's really not OK. Or if your meat hunk's center/probe depth will not reach over 140 within 4 hours.

Richtee
03-24-2010, 11:54 AM
So, isn't brining and marinading different? In my mind a brine is using a heavy salt solution to preserve a product and a marinade is using mostly acid to flavor. No?

You are correct. Altho brining does not have to be for preservation. It also "jucifies" the brinee over shorter time than for preservation.

Adsense Management by Losha