100 gallon propane tank for firebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 gallon propane tank for firebox

Is 100 gallon tank big enough and thick enough for a fire box on a 500 gallon propane tank smoker. If not how big do I need for the fire box. If I can't or should not use the propane tank what should I use and how big.

Some of you recommend min of 1/4 inch up to .5 inch. So if I build one I think I will go half inch. Wonder what that's going to cost.

Another question what type should I go for reverse flow is what I keep hearing about saw a nice plan online with good pics and a drawing. Seems alittle more complicated then I wanted but I think it looked like a good idea.

If I remember right, you are wanting to do a whole hog roast right?
    Not trying to discourage you on your build. but that's gonna be a monster project. If your goal is to do Whole Hog, take a look at what Ryan(Uncle Honky) did.
    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6087.
    Might get you there quicker and probably cheaper.
    Just something to consider.
    To answer your question, I think 1/4 is fine too. I would think the 100 gal bottle is a least that thick, but hard to tell with out cutting it. At 1/5th the size of the smoke chamber I would think it would have plenty of volume.
    I cut up a 500 gallon tank, and got a grill and a three shelf smoker and still had a 6th of it left over. It took me over a year to build it and takes two men and a boy to move it AND it's trailer mounted. Just be sure you need or want something that large. I love mine and it's been a blast and I'd do it all over again. Just allot more work and money than I thought.
    As far as the reverse flow, don't know, never used one. But some of the guys and gals on here that use them, are some of the best Qers around.
    JT

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
      Is 100 gallon tank big enough and thick enough for a fire box on a 500 gallon propane tank smoker. If not how big do I need for the fire box. If I can't or should not use the propane tank what should I use and how big.

Some of you recommend min of 1/4 inch up to .5 inch. So if I build one I think I will go half inch. Wonder what that's going to cost.

Another question what type should I go for reverse flow is what I keep hearing about saw a nice plan online with good pics and a drawing. Seems alittle more complicated then I wanted but I think it looked like a good idea.

Big Tim, take a look at this smoker.. See if this is something you would like to build?? http://www.compuvices.com/smoker.shtml

Also attached is the plans for that smoker..
      Attached Files
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

From what I know the rule of thumb is firebox should be 1/3 of what your cook chamber is. I have a excel program that can figure most everything for you if you want to try it. I think it will be a little on the small side for ya. But your smoker opening from your fire box and your smoke stack must also be taken in to factor everything out. If you do want the program send me a email it is in a file so I can reply to you and attach it. I figured out how..lol..I just never tried to upload a file instead of a picture. Any ways give this a shot and let me know if you need help figuring anything. Or hell you could be a math scholar and I could get some help from you..lolsmoker size calc.xls
        Jerod
        GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
        sigpic

Comment

Most of all the fuel tanks and propane tanks I have cut into have been only 3/16th", and this is pretty much standard for the propane industry, and not 1/4", they are fine for using for your main chamber, but just as everyone has pointed out on this forum in many different threads, your firebox is the most important feature on the smoker! So, if at all possible and financially capable build a firebox that will outlive your smoker. Just my $.02

And make sure you take lots of pics..................
          20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
          36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
          22" webber
          several burners
          pool/spa (of course)
          sigpic

Comment

Texas hunter your dead on. Give your tank the fire box lay out. I am thinking a cross between the first one and the second one in this link http://bubbagrills.net/img/grill500a.jpg

I think I will shelve the 100 gallon for a made from scratch box. Properly break down and go 1/2 inch. This is going to be a long time build. Plan is to have it all laid out and properly cut then start welding late summer or early fall when I get a mig welder. The business we just bought had a old Lincoln stick welder just not sure I want to tackle it with an ark welder since I have only mig welded.

I would like to do a whole hog but it is not my main goal. My goal is a large smoker that will give me a large area ok well huge area for meat. We do 4 or so family parties a year and I need up doing the meat. Everyone loves my smoked meat. I love my Bradley but it just does not seem the same to me. I ant going back to the brinks charcoal smoker. SO a big bad wood smoker it is.

Also what type of paint do you guys recommend? I do not want to have to hand paint it with stove paint and would like a fire engine red heat paint.
            Also on the link they have shocks to help hold the door up. What ones can I get to take the heat or is it a waste of money? Last should I have counter weights on the door or doors? Not sure if I want to go one big door 2 or 2 on each side.

Ohh one more I am going to look for a double axle boat trailer but if I can not find one what size would you recommend? I am thinking either small and low enough so I can get into it form the ground or big enough I can stand on the trailer and have room to work. Also the reason for the trailer is as we all know the thing will way alot and I do not want to move and leave it or have to rent a dam loader to get the thing on a trailer to move it. Beside maybe one day i can follow my dream of a bbq cooker

Comment

First off have you thought of doing a insulated fire box? No need to spend your money on 1 or 2 pieces of half inch steel. Insulating your fire box will give you the same effect you are looking for and be cheaper and twice as light. Check out some jambo's he has perfected them. Also you asked about paint if you want a superb finish go powder coating or high temp powder coating (hpc) man that is what I want to do. Good luck and it sounds like you have quit a while to plan everything out
              Texas hunter your dead on. Give your tank the fire box lay out. I am thinking a cross between the first one and the second one in this link http://bubbagrills.net/img/grill500a.jpg

I think I will shelve the 100 gallon for a made from scratch box. Properly break down and go 1/2 inch. This is going to be a long time build. Plan is to have it all laid out and properly cut then start welding late summer or early fall when I get a mig welder. The business we just bought had a old Lincoln stick welder just not sure I want to tackle it with an ark welder since I have only mig welded.

I would like to do a whole hog but it is not my main goal. My goal is a large smoker that will give me a large area ok well huge area for meat. We do 4 or so family parties a year and I need up doing the meat. Everyone loves my smoked meat. I love my Bradley but it just does not seem the same to me. I ant going back to the brinks charcoal smoker. SO a big bad wood smoker it is.

Also what type of paint do you guys recommend? I do not want to have to hand paint it with stove paint and would like a fire engine red heat paint.
              Also on the link they have shocks to help hold the door up. What ones can I get to take the heat or is it a waste of money? Last should I have counter weights on the door or doors? Not sure if I want to go one big door 2 or 2 on each side.

Ohh one more I am going to look for a double axle boat trailer but if I can not find one what size would you recommend? I am thinking either small and low enough so I can get into it form the ground or big enough I can stand on the trailer and have room to work. Also the reason for the trailer is as we all know the thing will way alot and I do not want to move and leave it or have to rent a dam loader to get the thing on a trailer to move it. Beside maybe one day i can follow my dream of a bbq cooker
              Jerod
              GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
              sigpic

Comment

All sounds great to me, remember to take plenty of pics from start to finish. I wish I had. good luck.

JT
                JT

Comment

How do I insulate the firebox and where do i get the stuff to do so. Powder coat is a good idea. Though I wonder what that would cost. DO you have a link to jambo's smokers. Alot of peopel talk about them but I can not seem to find them.
                  Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                  First off have you thought of doing a insulated fire box? No need to spend your money on 1 or 2 pieces of half inch steel. Insulating your fire box will give you the same effect you are looking for and be cheaper and twice as light. Check out some jambo's he has perfected them. Also you asked about paint if you want a superb finish go powder coating or high temp powder coating (hpc) man that is what I want to do. Good luck and it sounds like you have quit a while to plan everything out

Comment

Here is a link to jambo's> http://jambopits.com/
                    You can use a mineral bases insulation or a high temp ceramic blanket insulation and then you just build a double wall inner "box" should be a thicker metal 3/16 would be plenty and then a outer shell of what ever you want maybe 18 gauge or so. I know one 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch cost's 500 smackers here.
                    How do I insulate the firebox and where do i get the stuff to do so. Powder coat is a good idea. Though I wonder what that would cost. DO you have a link to jambo's smokers. Alot of peopel talk about them but I can not seem to find them.
                    Jerod
                    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks I get it now. kind of like the bradely. You build the fire box wrap it in the fire rated insulation and them make a second box on the out side and your done.

500 bucks for the 1/2 dam. No wonder they tried to keep us out of it during the welding class. Might check the local scrap yard they have a lot of stuff just might have to buy a few pieces to get it done. If 1/4 or so will work fine with me. I was more worried about burning out then loosing heat.
                      Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                      Here is a link to jambo's> http://jambopits.com/
                      You can use a mineral bases insulation or a high temp ceramic blanket insulation and then you just build a double wall inner "box" should be a thicker metal 3/16 would be plenty and then a outer shell of what ever you want maybe 18 gauge or so. I know one 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch cost's 500 smackers here.

Comment

If you build your firebox out of 1/4 steel it will be very heavy if you go 1/2" steel it will get very heavy very fast. Most steel is sold by the pound so you will pay alot more for it.
                        sigpic
                        Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
                        Great Out doors grill
                        Brinkman verticle
                        And one great UDS
                        Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Honestly most vertical smokers are less on their inside shell even for their firebox. I honestly think 3/16 is over kill also. 1/8th will last you a very long time and your kids as well. but your local scrap yard would be a nice source to find what ever and make do with it. probably a lot cheaper also.
                          Thanks I get it now. kind of like the bradely. You build the fire box wrap it in the fire rated insulation and them make a second box on the out side and your done.

500 bucks for the 1/2 dam. No wonder they tried to keep us out of it during the welding class. Might check the local scrap yard they have a lot of stuff just might have to buy a few pieces to get it done. If 1/4 or so will work fine with me. I was more worried about burning out then loosing heat.
                          Jerod
                          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                          sigpic

Comment

If you are going for an insulated fire box, this thread from BBQEngineer is a must see.
                            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6649
                            JT

Comment

THats that is a heck of a thread. It helps me lay out the box in my head. Plan is to move it tomorrow and maybe fill it with water. Dad seems ti think since it has sit for years it does not need to be filled. HE said he would cut into it. I guess filling a steel tank with water draining it and leave it sitting for months till I make it. EIther way I plan on drawing it out or laying it out in cad. If I get in the scrap yard tomorrow I am going to try and pick up some steel. Either 1/4 or 1/2 depending on what they have and want for it. Guess I could make the bottom out of 1/2 then the sides out of 1/4 inch. I know I will need some angle iron for support.
                              I am going to check out some boat trailers tomorrow I am in with the local marina so it should be a cheap fix for a trailer.
                              Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                              If you are going for an insulated fire box, this thread from BBQEngineer is a must see.
                              http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6649

Comment

Working...
                              X