Tomatoes and peppers going strong for this years garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes and peppers going strong for this years garden

The first shot was a bit harder to see due to the light being on (brand new grow light with T5s) so I had to turn it off to get a few good pics (except the blurry one)

The Light:

It is amazing and makes a big difference from last years!
    Plants are also sitting on a heated blanket for extra warmth.

Had to put them on a bigger table after I transplanted into bigger pots.

Maters...

Some of the peppers...

The list is: (I think, I have to recount things again)
    Tomatoes...
    Black Cherry-7
    Snow White (white cherry)-5
    Super sweet 100-5
    Better Boy Hybrid-4
    Early Girl Hybrid-4
    Ramapo-2
    Burgess stuffing tomato-7
    Big Beef Hybrid-5
    Reisentraube (German giant cherry)-6
    Roma-5
    Early Wonder-3
    4th of July-6
    Big Boy Hybrid-2
    Cherokee Purple-2

Peppers...
    Aji Dulce (no heat habanero)-7
    Black Hungarian-2
    Pepperoncini-6
    Bell-5
    Anaheim-2
    Giant Jalapeno-5
    Early Jalapeno-5
    Organic Jalapeno-6
    No Heat Jalapeno-6
    (could have sworn I had another strain or two of japs, need to recheck that)

Also have 2 kinds of broccolli growing and several Fairy Tale Hybrid eggplants.
    Buttercrunch and Romaine lettuce went out in the garden yesterday along with spinach and several onions. Garlic is growing strong from last Fall.
    Everything else will have to wait a few more weeks for the last frost date to pass and nights to keep a little warmer.

Garden area, about 40'x40'
    Will plant corn in another area since I keep it separate from the regular garden, doing sweet corn and baby corn which will dry into popcorn kernels if allowed to fully mature.

Also have 3 compost piles and 2 bins running all the time for some mighty fine dirt.
    Hoping this year will be a lot better for growing than last year was!
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Great start jim....Those plants look strong as heck....Look forward to the upcoming pics as season goes on...

My peas should be breaking soon after 7 days....

Them lights could be good for one of your other hobbies....LOL!!!!!!

I am growing the 4th of july too since it came out this year.
    Last edited by ALX; 03-25-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Heck yeah! Get on it....man! Ya'll it's gotta be a good year for the veggie's!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Oh my God. We got another Green finger one. Alx, Big Guy, now Jim. All the best and I hope your Garden pics for this year are great...
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

I'll just have to watch you guys grow those nice gardens. I have ten acres of clay and alkali. I managed to raise a few cucumbers six or eight years ago. Finally seeded the garden spot with grass.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Fine looking set up. I do mine in our living room in front of a south facing window. Miss Needles is sure glad when I get everything out into our green house and she gets her living room back. LOL.
            Col. Big Guy

Comment

Very nice plants and set up. I would have never thought of using the electric blanket under them. Nice garden area, too!! Can't wait to see your progress this year!
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Great start on the garden vegies plants look great
                sigpic
                Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
                Great Out doors grill
                Brinkman verticle
                And one great UDS
                Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

I wish I had that kinda room for a garden. Looks great!

I am starting up a much smaller one this year...nothing that size thats for sure.
                  Al

Comment

Your plants look great. I am just starting my plants at home today.
                    I have a tiny area fenced off for my 'garden'. I live on Open Space boardered by BLM land, so I have deer and elk and everything else in my yard if I don't fence it off.
                    I work on a farm so I get most of my food from there, but I still like to grow my own because at the farm we don't grow all variteies of some of the veggies I like. What beans and peas are you growing? Last year I grew Kwintus beans. They are a roma type bean and I just loved them. If the snow ever melts I'll plant my Sugar Ann peas....
                    Keep the pictures coming.
                    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Nice lookin plants you got there. Looks like they have outgrown the light you have. And must be a full time job watering those peat pots as fast as they dry out. Obviously you have it under controll. Hope your growing season works out for you.

Mine are just sticking their heads outta the soil lookin for first light. Way behind schedule here. My lights arent as nice as yours. I got three shop lights on chains for a total of 320 watts. Cheap but effective.
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moselle View Post
                        What beans and peas are you growing? Last year I grew Kwintus beans. They are a roma type bean and I just loved them. If the snow ever melts I'll plant my Sugar Ann peas....
                        Keep the pictures coming.
                        Doing regular limas and peas, some asparagus beans (yard long) and Big Mama Limas which are HUGE limas and a New Jersey heirloom.
                        Personally I can't stand limas, never have liked them but my folks love them.

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                        Nice lookin plants you got there. Looks like they have outgrown the light you have. And must be a full time job watering those peat pots as fast as they dry out.
                        They do take forever to water so I try and do peppers and smaller tomatoes/broccoli/eggplants one day then the larger ones on an opposite day.
                        Had to do some research, go to a specialty store and spend a few hundred bucks for it but the light raises and lowers for height (chains and hooks) and has such a perfect light spectrum and intensity on it I could grow bushes or even stalks of corn under it, if I had the room to grow corn inside...now wouldn't that be something!

Oh, also going to try doing peanuts this year, never grew them before so it will be interesting.

sigpic

Comment

Here are my peppers

My garlic beds

You can see a few of the garlic have pushed through the leaf cover
                          Col. Big Guy

Comment

Is that all garlic in the bed?
                            I know mine won't last, only put about 15 cloves in last Fall, this year I should do 50 or so I guess, keep the relatives in stock too especially my BIL, he is Italian and you know how those people love their garlic

What kind of peppers/other plants are you growing?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
                              Here are my peppers

My garlic beds

You can see a few of the garlic have pushed through the leaf cover
                              Looking good BG...I snapped some pics this afternoon and will update me garlic later....

Comment

Working...
                              X