Building Grill need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Grill need advice

I am building a grill out of a old oil tank.I want to put a tray under the rack
    to burn charcoal how far under the cooking rack should the charcoal be?

Thanks

Man...be good if ya can tell us how big or how bout a pic! OBTW....nice to meet ya! Be more guidance in a bit i'm sure....
    Last edited by Slanted88; 03-25-2010, 05:55 PM.
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

If you are talkin about a 55 gallon drum, the guys around here call them UDS
      "Ugly Drum Smoker"
      If that's the case go to forums and look at the smoker section under UDS. If not, shoot us some more info and we can maybe steer ya in the right direction.
      Welcome aboard it's good to have ya.

JT
      JT

Comment

Welcome to Smoked-Meat Rod! Hmmm to answer your question..the best way would be have a couple heights, for different heat levels. I'd like to have anywhere from 8-14" inches or so. Maybe you could fab up something like a 4 peg rest system ot just 2 long rods thru the ends for support, allowing you to raise or lower it as needed. Weld oversized nuts on the sides for support of rods, or for threaded pegs.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks I will take some pics and post them.

Comment

I second that idea. I hate when a grill or smoker has one rack height. I took two brinks grills and made one good one. I used the rack from the smaller one that rusted out to sit higher on the round grill at a higher level.
            Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Welcome to Smoked-Meat Rod! Hmmm to answer your question..the best way would be have a couple heights, for different heat levels. I'd like to have anywhere from 8-14" inches or so. Maybe you could fab up something like a 4 peg rest system ot just 2 long rods thru the ends for support, allowing you to raise or lower it as needed. Weld oversized nuts on the sides for support of rods, or for threaded pegs.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Rod! Yeah if ya could get a couple shots of that bad boy, it sure would help, to see what you are in store for. But just off a whim, I like to think in terms of thirds. using the last 2 thirds for multiple rack levels and obviously the last bottom third for the charcoal. Good luck!
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

That will work... I bet you could grill up about 20 or so T-Bones on her..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Here are the Pics of grill I like to cook fresh hams any suggestions on burning
                  Charcoal was thinking about leaving the right side out and building a box to
                  fit in that slot to burn coals and charcoal and putting a gas burnner in the bottom.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rodneykra View Post
                    Here are the Pics of grill I like to cook fresh hams any suggestions on burning
                    Charcoal was thinking about leaving the right side out and building a box to
                    fit in that slot to burn coals and charcoal and putting a gas burnner in the bottom.
                    If it were me, I would have some kind of charcoal pan for the bottom... It would not take to long to burn through the bottom of it..

Or add a firebox on one end and make a smoker out of it>>>
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Rod,
                      Welcome aboard - looks like you got a good start on your grill/smoker

No idea on the height of your charcoal pan.

Comment

Working...
                      X