Mapleine in Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapleine in Bacon

Somewhere I saw a post about using Mapleine in a bacon cure and I did a search with no luck - I am picking up 15# of bellies in the AM to cure and wanted to try it - Anyone out there used it ? What is the ratio per #
    Scarbelly

Imitation Maple Syrup...Why not just use real Maple syrup if that is what you want?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJoeBob View Post
      Imitation Maple Syrup...Why not just use real Maple syrup if that is what you want?
      The Mapleine is a concentrate that I read is more efficient at penetrating and emparting a maple flavor as opposed to syrup
      Scarbelly

Comment

Although I have never heard of mapleine, if it is a pure concentated maple extract I would try it. I tried regular real maple syrup on my last CB, but I could barely taste it in the finished product.

Comment

I agree with smokinlee. I have wanted to try a maple extract in my bacon (mapleine is just Crescent foods particular brand). I don't know how much to use either. I tried 2 2 oz. bottles in my 5 gal of brine for turkeys over Christmas and I couldn't taste it. That might give you an idea, but I'm sure it will be a trial and error sort of thing. Real maple syrup is very pricey, at least around here and while I don't mind spending a little and using good ingredients, there reaches a point where I have to draw a line.
          sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Mapleine

My mom used use it to make our syrup when I was a kid. Sugar+water+mapleine=maple syrup.
            Let us know how it turns out!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
              Although I have never heard of mapleine, if it is a pure concentated maple extract I would try it. I tried regular real maple syrup on my last CB, but I could barely taste it in the finished product.
              Scare, I'm interested in your outcome, and until now had not heard of Mapleine.

I've had the same experience as SmokinLee on belly bacon and canadian bacon. I've used honey, molasses, and brown sugar trying to drive the flavor in, even rubbing it on while smoking and the biggest difference I noticed was that your hands and your slicer taste a lot more like honey, molasses, brown sugar as opposed to the plain slabs using pepper.

Comment

I'm curing my first bacon now so I don't know about mapleine in bacon. But, I have a bottle of mapleine here (I have no idea why) and it smells great. It says it's 'imitation maple flavor' and the ingredients listed are; water,natural flavorings, caramel color, alcohol, phosphoric acid, vanillin, sulfitng agents.
                ...just tasted it and it taste very 'pure'...yum...I would try this on bacon. It is a very nice flavor. It's nice to have the maple flavor without sweet, very earthy.
                Just my
                "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Heres a thought (didn't know I had one this early in the morning). Len Poli's bacon recipe is nearly identical to Rytek Kutas. However, he calls for 3 TBS of liquid smoke per 10# slab to be brushed on. it still gets fully smoked.I wonder if one tried brushing mapeline on at a similar ratio, if you would get a decent result. I may try a slab that way next time.
                  sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                    Heres a thought (didn't know I had one this early in the morning). Len Poli's bacon recipe is nearly identical to Rytek Kutas. However, he calls for 3 TBS of liquid smoke per 10# slab to be brushed on. it still gets fully smoked.I wonder if one tried brushing mapeline on at a similar ratio, if you would get a decent result. I may try a slab that way next time.
                    Ya that is kinda the ratio I was thinkin for a 5# slab - I have tried maple and brown sugar and it never seems to penetrate with any flavor - also thought about making up a slurry and injecting it right before the smoke. Picking up the bellies today so gotta make up my mind soon LOL
                    Scarbelly

Comment

Is this the thread Scar?
                      http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...light=mapleine
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        This is the first time I saw the reference but I swear I also saw it in a bacon one too - thanks this reinforces that I have not totally lost it LOL
                        Gary
                        Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
                          This is the first time I saw the reference but I swear I also saw it in a bacon one too - thanks this reinforces that I have not totally lost it LOL
                          Gary
                          I think you are right on the bacon post also, just could not find it...
                          You have not totally lost it....... partially, maybe.... totally.... not yet
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X