Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to fire it up in my propane tank smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to fire it up in my propane tank smoker.

My goal is to burn oak or some other hardwood in my build. I have started well restarted moving away from fuels and things I would not swallow if given the bottle. When I got my charcoal brinks smoker I used lighter fluid twice and hated it. I loved it as a kid but since going to the charcoal chimmney a few years back then back to a propane grill I could taste the fluid. Heck even when no one else could and I dam near burnt the load up before laying on the meat. SO I went back to chimney with the brinks. Two real smokes later (one sausage one rib) i bought my Bradley. I love it but seems like it is not a real smoke. Everyone love the meat I just seem to be the one who wants more from it. SO this is why I am doing the wood fired smoker.
    I do not want to go back to lighter fluid to ignite the wood. I though a propane torch you would use to burn weeds or maybe installing a propane burner in it but then burning wood over it might be a issue.

SO how can I light the wood without nasty fuels or sitting there for hours waiting for the paper to do it's job. I know propane is a fuel but I have never tasted it when cooking on it. Ohhh what about thermite.

Just split up a good supply of small kindling. I cook over a wood fire a lot and rarely use anything other than a match to light it with. I usually have a big fire going to burn down into coals in minutes.

Comment

I use a weed burner.....works great!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

[QUOTE=bigtim665;106030]My goal is to burn oak or some other hardwood in my build. I have started well restarted moving away from fuels and things I would not swallow if given the bottle. When I got my charcoal brinks smoker I used lighter fluid twice and hated it. I loved it as a kid but since going to the charcoal chimmney a few years back then back to a propane grill I could taste the fluid. Heck even when no one else could and I dam near burnt the load up before laying on the meat. SO I went back to chimney with the brinks. Two real smokes later (one sausage one rib) i bought my Bradley. I love it but seems like it is not a real smoke. Everyone love the meat I just seem to be the one who wants more from it. SO this is why I am doing the wood fired smoker.
        I do not want to go back to lighter fluid to ignite the wood. I though a propane torch you would use to burn weeds or maybe installing a propane burner in it but then burning wood over it might be a issue.

SO how can I light the wood without nasty fuels or sitting there for hours waiting for the paper to do it's job. I know propane is a fuel but I have never tasted it when cooking on it. Ohhh what about thermite.[/QUOTE]

well that would be good. But, it can and will burn through the steel I guess.
        If you can find solid propellent like they use in missiles and rockets. that stuff works sweet. and only takes a small amount. never used it for the smoker, but the fire place has seen it. ( some of the chemicals in it are worse then the lighter fuild)

I have a cast iron burner for a fire place that I am going to install in my smoker, plumb it out with black pipe so that I can install a hose to it.
        It is used in fire places to start the fires, should be fine there. It is heavy duty cast iron and should last.
        right now I am using a weed burner, that thing works sweet. I taste no fuel from it, and I do not think I will from the cast iron fire place ignitor either. But then you might.
        then that is where the kindling comes in.
        and I don't like the news paper to use. to much ink and chemicals. shaved wood is better.
        and matches have chemicals also sulphar yuck bad smell and taste there.
        the bic lighter works for me to ignite the other stuff.
        but then you may want to try and I have not seen it mentioned. is the bow and block of wood method like the indians use. starts fire by moving two objects real fast against each other and produces heat and bingo with some real small kindling you will get a safe natural flame to start the smoker.
        I hope you find a way to light your smoker with out get bad taste in your food.
        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I like the weed burner idea. I knew ink in newspaper was a bad idea getting thought of poorly. Never heard of solid propane before. [QUOTE=Kyote;106250]
          Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
          My goal is to burn oak or some other hardwood in my build. I have started well restarted moving away from fuels and things I would not swallow if given the bottle. When I got my charcoal brinks smoker I used lighter fluid twice and hated it. I loved it as a kid but since going to the charcoal chimmney a few years back then back to a propane grill I could taste the fluid. Heck even when no one else could and I dam near burnt the load up before laying on the meat. SO I went back to chimney with the brinks. Two real smokes later (one sausage one rib) i bought my Bradley. I love it but seems like it is not a real smoke. Everyone love the meat I just seem to be the one who wants more from it. SO this is why I am doing the wood fired smoker.

SO how can I light the wood without nasty fuels or sitting there for hours waiting for the paper to do it's job. I know propane is a fuel but I have never tasted it when cooking on it. Ohhh what about thermite.[/QUOTE]

well that would be good. But, it can and will burn through the steel I guess.
          If you can find solid propellent like they use in missiles and rockets. that stuff works sweet. and only takes a small amount. never used it for the smoker, but the fire place has seen it. ( some of the chemicals in it are worse then the lighter fuild)

I have a cast iron burner for a fire place that I am going to install in my smoker, plumb it out with black pipe so that I can install a hose to it.
          It is used in fire places to start the fires, should be fine there. It is heavy duty cast iron and should last.
          right now I am using a weed burner, that thing works sweet. I taste no fuel from it, and I do not think I will from the cast iron fire place ignitor either. But then you might.
          then that is where the kindling comes in.
          and I don't like the news paper to use. to much ink and chemicals. shaved wood is better.
          and matches have chemicals also sulphar yuck bad smell and taste there.
          the bic lighter works for me to ignite the other stuff.
          but then you may want to try and I have not seen it mentioned. is the bow and block of wood method like the indians use. starts fire by moving two objects real fast against each other and produces heat and bingo with some real small kindling you will get a safe natural flame to start the smoker.
          I hope you find a way to light your smoker with out get bad taste in your food.

Comment

Working...
          X