Starting Gravlox for Easter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Gravlox for Easter

Liked the look of what CrewDog had done so much that I was just burnin to give it a try. Picked up a little more than a lb of Atlantic Salmon from a fish market in Omaha called "Absolutely Fresh Seafood". Used the same ratio of salt and sugar from CD's post, just couldn't get fresh dill from the local grocery in Plattsmouth. That's the tough thing about living out of the city, small grocery stores and few good restaurants. Anyway, I picked myself up by my bootstraps and decided to just go with using dry dill. Will let these sit in the fridge until Easter and see what we get.
    Here's a few pics:

Salmon

Salmon and the spices

Mixture packed on

Vac sealed to do it's thing

I am going to give the lox a bit of a cold smoke using maple chips when it is ready. I'm also planning to smoke a 5lb Ribeye roast this weekend too. Here it is all thawed out. Tonight I am going to open it up an let it start drying for a couple days.

I'll start another post this weekend for the Ribeye smoke and will include finished pics (I hope) of the Gravlox.

Thanks again CrewDog for the inspiration to try something I've never done before.

Dave

hey, dave!

looks like you are off to a great start on a real scandinavian experience! i like the idea of cold-smoking it a bit in maple and plan to do the smae thing the next time i make gravlax.

do you plan on trying the hovmästarsåsgravlaxsås to go with it? it's simple to make and adds a nice, fresh and authentic touch!
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

do you plan on trying the hovmästarsåsgravlaxsås
      just so long as he doesn't try pronouncing it :-)

you posted the recipe round here ?

I've got 3 lb of samon gravlaxing at the moment.
      2:2:1 = sea salt:soft brown sugar:dried dill.

added a secret ingredient to it as well - a lemons worth of finely grated zest mixed in with the rub. should add a little lemony zip to it ;-)

cling filmed and weighed down with a bunch of hardrives. Should be good for sunday, put it in tuesday I think.
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

you posted the recipe round here ?
        ask and you shall receive, my friend:

This recipe calls for decilitres (dl). 1 decilitre is equal to .4 cup measure, or slightly less than half a cup.

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
        1-2 pinches of salt
        4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
        1 / 2 dl Swedish sweet mustard I guess a light honey-mustard could be substitued wig good results.
        possibly 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
        1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
        1 dl neutral oil
        salt, white pepper from the mill

Mix sugar, salt and dill (it is said that the dill flavor arrives best this way).

Mix the mustard and vinegar.

Stir in oil, little by little so that the sauce does not crack. Season with salt and pepper.

Let stand awhile before serving.

should look like this:

results are pretty good:

click here for full details.
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
          hey, dave!

looks like you are off to a great start on a real scandinavian experience! i like the idea of cold-smoking it a bit in maple and plan to do the smae thing the next time i make gravlax.

do you plan on trying the hovmästarsåsgravlaxsås to go with it? it's simple to make and adds a nice, fresh and authentic touch!
          Actually I was thinking of giving it a try. Wanted to ask you what a "neutral oil" is?

Dave

Comment

a neutral oil is one that has no residual flavours; to me, the most neutral one i can think of is canola oil, but there may be something that is more "neutral." pretty much any cooking or salad oil you have should be fine.

when i made mine, i went ahead and used extra virgin olive oil even though that oil definitely has its own flavour. results, in my opinion, were very good.
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Gonna try it then

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
              a neutral oil is one that has no residual flavours; to me, the most neutral one i can think of is canola oil, but there may be something that is more "neutral." pretty much any cooking or salad oil you ahve should be fine.

when i made mine, i went ahead and used extra virgin olive oil even though that oil definitely has its own flavour. results, in my opinion, were very good.
              That's kinda what I thought. I think I'll probably give the sauce a go then. Sounds like it's pretty tasty.

Dave

Comment

the flavour really seems to go well with gravlax and to be honest, i plan to try it as a grilling sauce for fish this summer.

i also think it would go very well with potatoes and will see about using it in a potato salad as well.
                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Very happy

Tonight after work I looked at the Gravlax for the first time. It has been about 24 hours since it was sealed. I was very excited to see that the fish was turning a nice red color and was releasing quite a bit of moisture. Here's a couple pics and notice that in the last one there is a brick on top of the goodness. Smashin in the luv. Lookin forward to tastin this.

Can't wait to see what it looks like on Sunday, but for now I am very optimistic.Gettin pretty happy.

Dave

Comment

that's the way it ought to be! looking great!
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Looking real good....

Comment

Ok.... Not like this thread is getting me hungry or anything...

Nice Work
                        sigpic

Comment

Lookin really good there GD. Cant wait to see the final pics!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crewdawg52 View Post
                            Lookin really good there GD. Cant wait to see the final pics!
                            I agree, Great start. All the best...
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            KCBS CBJ

Comment

I'm dang sure gonna try this.....like the sound & look!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X