Sourdough for Easter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough for Easter

Wanted to try something a little fancier with the bread for this weekend, so going the braided route on a sourdough spear, sprinkled with some Sicilian Blend bread dipping seasoning. With that, is one regular loaf, and one cinnamon sugar loaf.

I love messing with sourdough, so I kinda over do the pictures...

Sponge

Kneaded dough

Starter feed and ready to go for next time

Cinnamon Bread - this is real easy, roll out the width of a loaf, rub a little butter on it, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and roll it back up.

And here's the braided

Sitting in the oven for the final proof

Take aways - rolled dough rope for braiding needs to be about 1.25 X longer that the pan. I did mine 2X longer. Using my 16" pizza pan to give you and idea of how big this thing turned out. My dough also ended up stretching a bit as I tried to braid it.... Not the best job, but it will eat!

I'll be back later with finished pictures.
    Thanks for checking out my Easter bread project.
    Tracey

Mmmm Mmmmm MMMMmmm. Man, gotta love that sourdough. Love the braided one, I know that is gonna be gooood.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Yum! you make it look very easy Tracy. Oh I am anxious for the report on the braid with the seasonings.. lil evoo & balsamic... now thats what Im talking about!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

BBQ-G/Meat Hunter - Thanks! Yeah, I don't know if I'll be able to wait until tomorrow to chomp into the roll.... On the seasoning, we just mix with EVOO and dip away. I haven't tried mixing with balsamic..hummmm

Here are the finished goods

Thanks for checking out my bread project.
        Here are some tips for you bread heads that don't have a day and half to make bread. I use this on regular bread and tried this morning on this batch of sourdough with succeful results. Success defined by me is a baked loaf that is light, and at least double in size from the formed dough. (Take a look at the loaf pictures, the final loaves ended up rising about an inch above the pan after they were baked.) From the air pockets I can see, they are light and fluffy.

Proofing your dough,
        After you have mixed up your dough, replace the first two hour proofing stage by simply microwaving your dough, on low, until you can "feel" it getting loose and soft. In my micro wave, that is four minutes on 20 (100) being the high setting.

Make your rolls/loaves/etc. immediately and place in baking pan.

With regular rolls/loaves, I will repeat the microwave process and straight into the oven. I can be eating baked bread in just a little after an hour from the time I drag the flour out.

Today, because I was using a metal pizza pan, I simply placed the braided roll into a warmed oven for 30 minutes, pulled it out because I neede to bake the loaves, and then baked. It probably proofed for around 50 minutes after being braided.

Give'er a whirl.
        Tracey

Comment

Excellent post and excellent bread !!!!!
          Jerod
          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
          sigpic

Comment

Beautiful Walle.
            Happy Easter!
            "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Holy braided bread to boast about! Wowsers! How did I miss this? Nice loaves Walle! The braid is unreal man! Way to dive in head first bud. Killer job
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

quote:Proofing your dough,
                After you have mixed up your dough, replace the first two hour proofing stage by simply microwaving your dough, on low, until you can "feel" it getting loose and soft. In my micro wave, that is four minutes on 20 (100) being the high setting.quote

You folks all take note: Tracey also boils his ribs and finishes them off in that same microwave! He does use ketchup for a BBQ sauce though.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                  quote:Proofing your dough,
                  After you have mixed up your dough, replace the first two hour proofing stage by simply microwaving your dough, on low, until you can "feel" it getting loose and soft. In my micro wave, that is four minutes on 20 (100) being the high setting.quote

You folks all take note: Tracey also boils his ribs and finishes them off in that same microwave! He does use ketchup for a BBQ sauce though.
                  LMAO - Bassman!

Dammit, KEITH!
                  I was just sharing SOME of my secrets... not ALL of them!

You old coot!

Comment

Very nice job wingin that dough. I'm out of points.
                    Keith

Comment

Nice looking breads, wish I could bake up some tasties like that!
                      There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X