Garden Moving Along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Moving Along

Was able to get the onions from seed i started in february transplanted last night/ today...

160 total red.white,yellow...storage onions

Here they are next to the 200 garlic bulbs i planted last november

This afternoons project was to till the 40'x70' pepper-tomato area....

Shame to till such a fine cover-crop...Hardly any weeds if any in the field anymore...

took about 3 hours...Had the tunes cranking in headset though and enjoyed a few beers...

Left side of alliums(garlic,onions) will be lettuce,radish etc in front(tilled for planting starting monday) and beans squashes,gords etc. in this 25'x70' section

Right of pepper tomato will be pumpkin(pies,jack o lanterns),watermelon,cantalope etc..

Anybody need kale,mustard greens...I will till this 20'x70' stretch up to shed for my old neighbors garden

50' double row of snow peas are popping nicely

Garden cat is high as heck on cat-nip

Honey bees are loving the warm weather

Dude, you got after it! Thanks for the pics.
    Keith

Comment

You are going to have a great season this year bud. All the best...
      ---------------------------------------------------
      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      KCBS CBJ

Comment

160 onions and 200 garlic, damn Alex...You just never cease to amaze.

Been spending many hours in the garden lately too, how can you not with this beautiful weather?
        Actually got some sunburn the other day I was out so long.

Can't wait till everything is in full swing, love those shots of your massive plants.
        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Awesome..... Where's the Green Beans though
          sigpic

Comment

Dang, ALX - to ya for being such a damn good "farmer"!

Question for you on your onions. I planted onions one year, and they came off just like the ones in the bag from the grocery.

Next three years, over half of my crop had some kinda worm get in them - after they had fully developed. I would have onions that were baseball size, that were totally rotten and very smelly in the center.

If finally just gave it up. Do you have this issue, or what do you do so that you don't?

Comment

Wish you were a little closer. I'd take a whole bale of kale and mustard greens.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nice garden, love my Troy built too.
                Col. Big Guy

Comment

What are you planting for a cover crop? I've planted red clover before in a plot that I was trying to get ready for initial planting...Normally dont do so in my regular garden...Plenty of compost does the trick for me...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post

Question for you on your onions. I planted onions one year, and they came off just like the ones in the bag from the grocery.

Next three years, over half of my crop had some kinda worm get in them - after they had fully developed. I would have onions that were baseball size, that were totally rotten and very smelly in the center.

If finally just gave it up. Do you have this issue, or what do you do so that you don't?
                    About this time of year here onion flys will emerge from soil and lay eggs on onion leaves...The larvae of eggs go down to bulbs and become onion maggotts which eat bulbs causing top to wilt....I had a bad problem 4 years ago and its important to throw out(in a bag) the maggotts on mushy bulb....I have not had any last 3 years...They usually attack my onions sets(second year onion).They only last if they come out from early april until 3rd week of april.The onion fly is present throughout nature.

It can be a crap shoot..Wish me luck...

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    What are you planting for a cover crop? I've planted red clover before in a plot that I was trying to get ready for initial planting...Normally dont do so in my regular garden...Plenty of compost does the trick for me...

Its just a annual rye.The garden is on a 3-4 degree gentle slope....It helps alot with run-off(i have none) and the annual rye is cheap.I mowed it twice already..Just like you with the amount of compost i add to every plant/raised bed the soil is very healthy after many years.

Comment

Wow!! And I thought my Dad had a big garden. His was maybe 35'x35'.

Dave
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Ooooweeee.....Man....you got a garden! Gonna be a good pickin, when the time comes!
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                        X