Mad Hunky Almonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Hunky Almonds

OK took a shot at almonds using my rub. Needs additional salt, as I bought roasted unsalted almonds.

I went about it probably in a rather unusual manner: I made a thick water/flour paste and added the rub into it. Then poured the paste over the almonds in a bag and coated them. Placed in smoker for about 2 hours at about 180-ish.

The coating dried on and stuck very well... I like this method! Upon tasting, I decided more rub was needed. No problem- misted the almonds down with water, softning the flour rub mix and shook on more rub. Another half hour and they were all dried and ready to go!

For 1 Lb almonds I used 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons rub. I'd go with 3 tablespoons rub next time. And a tablespoon Kosher salt. Added enough water to make the paste, spread on tin foil and into th smoker. About an hour in, I broke up th clumps of nuts and moved them on the foil to prevent sticking.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Nice way of going about it, sounds like a really great way to coat the nuts.
    One of those things I have yet to try smoking is any kind of nuts, I realy need to get in on that
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

that sounds excellent. I guess that recipe could go with the pecans
      could you taste the flour? and could we use bourbon instead of water to make the paste? the next door dude gave me a 5 gallon bucket of fresh pecans. still in the shell might give thm a whirl if they ever get shelled.
      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Nice Rich, sounds good. I have been doing this for a bit; raw almonds, little butter, salt, Karo syrup and Mad Hunky in microwave, nuke, stir, nuke, stir.. Either just heated through or "cooked" about 3-4 minutes in 1 minute intervals and stirring every minute. Mmmmm, oh and just sprinkled some on a couple of hard boiled eggs this morning... That was nice with some CBP. Hell I hear some people have even used it on meat!... WTF?
        sigpic

Comment

I do think I used your rub on the last ones I did, But! I did submerge them briefly in a very hot salt water brine which they swell, absorb and then let dry. For the life of me I can't remember where I seen the egg white wash and rub method, but when I read it, I wanted to try it.
          Last edited by SmokinLee; 04-06-2010, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I'm not quite feeling the paste/clumpy thing. Got any pics?
            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
              For the life of me I can't remember where I seen the egg white wash and rub method, but when I read it, I wanted to try it.
              I have done this one. They turn out quite nice actually ....

• 2 egg whites
              • 2 cups whole blanched almonds (500 ml)
              • 1/2 cup brown sugar (125 ml)
              • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (7.5 ml)
              • 1 tsp chili powder (5ml)
              • 1 tsp cumin (5ml)
              • 1/8 tsp salt (0.5ml)
              • 1 tsp cayenne (5ml)
              • 1 tbsp of salted butter, melted (15 ml)

1. Pour egg whites into a bowl and whisk until frothy. Add almonds and toss until they are coated. Drain the excess egg white from the almonds and set aside.
              2. In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, cinnamon, cumin, chili powder salt and cayenne. Mix well. Add almonds to the dry mix and toss until they are completely coated. Place the almonds on a cookie sheet.
              3. Preheat smoker to 220° - 225° and smoke almonds 30 minutes (until they are golden brown), turning them halfway through.
              5. Remove almonds from smoker. Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat. Toss almonds in melted butter.
              Ron

Weber Smokey Mountain
              GOSM x 2
              Vermont Casting Grill
              Black Thermapen (only color available in these parts)

Comment

Rich, I like that idea!! All of the suggestions sound great! I like SL's idea with the brine... that will get the salt content for sure. Two ideas:

1. Before they dry from the brine bath, place Mad Hunky in a ziplock, and add the drained, yet still damp nuts to the bag. Shake well to coat them, then place in a fine-meshed basket (or a cookie sheet), and lay the smoke to them.

OR

2. After they dry from the brine bath, spritz lightly with EVOO, peanut oil, or what have you, and do the ziplock method above. Shake well to coat them, then place in a fine-meshed basket (or a cookie sheet), and lay the smoke to them.

I would suggest "powdering" the Mad Hunky in a coffee or spice mill, get it really fine... you know... snortable.

Just my pennyless thoughts...
                Last edited by HawgHeaven; 04-06-2010, 05:11 PM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Ya we want pics ritchee !
                  Jerod
                  GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                    Ya we want pics ritchee !
                    What they said.
                    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Cool process....I will try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                        that sounds excellent. I guess that recipe could go with the pecans
                        could you taste the flour? and could we use bourbon instead of water to make the paste? the next door dude gave me a 5 gallon bucket of fresh pecans. still in the shell might give thm a whirl if they ever get shelled.
                        Could not taste the flour.I don't see why not bourbon either...Hmmm
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

you'd think he'd know by now - NO PICS - It's all in your mind !

How hard did you imagine (lol) the coating became ?

You can get peanuts done in a similiar way.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I just din't think some pix of almonds would be all that interesting. I'll go take one. You people are weird ;{)

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              I just din't think some pix of almonds would be all that interesting. I'll go take one. You people are weird ;{)

Comment

Working...
                              X