Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Gas Grill - Rebuild - Buy Another -Mods -Customize -Comments - ETC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Gas Grill - Rebuild - Buy Another -Mods -Customize -Comments - ETC?

My 2002 Weber Gold Silver C is 8 years old & is need of getting some updating soon...... or replacement ..... She still grills 3+- nights a week for me, but has got some pretty serious rust on the top left side of the frame that has been evident for about 2 years & a couple other spots, thought not as bad...... Otherwise, the parts that are commonly replaced & available are in pretty good shape & function properly, or can be found easily & have been replaced..... I think she could be revamped to serve another 3-5 years or s..... I did contact Weber & the gal I spoke with said the frame replacement part is no longer available.... SO... I can get the rusted area cut out & a new part welded in, OR.... Do it the inexpensive route & do it myself, without having to disassemble all the burners & all that shit & take it to a welding shop..... My dad was one of the masters of cheap..... He had a Craftsman $100 push lawnmower that lasted 20 years by using pieces of metal & screws to hold the rusted out frame together... Serious!... I dont even know why it had a bagger?..... all the grass clippings just flew out of the rust holes that were not patched up with metal & screws.... He claims it was the first mulcher mower... He would probably go to jail nowadays for letting his kid (ME) use that POS & the risk it posed on kids...... ..... True Story Though.

Anyways!...... If I am going to go through & pretty much disassemble the whole thing & have it all apart & put it all back together with some new parts that could use or need replacement..... How about some custom paint on the frame?..... I thought sanding & grind down the frame in spots that needed it & spray it with primer & use a Hammerite type paint from the can?

1) Since this will most likely be a kinda "Frame Off" rebuild.... Custom Paint colors for the frame is something I am thinking about .... Red, Light Blue, Yellow, Green, Camo?????

2) Any suggestions on the best way to get the Stainless Hood to shine like new again (Buffing wheel?)....

3) Anything else...?.... I am open to all suggestions.... Have never seen one with a Pink frames... but...

Here she is..... It's hard to distinguish some of the frame areas from the components that are bolted on...... I think a contrast frame color may look interesting??

Here is the BAD rusted spot in the frame between the grill & left table.....

The lower part of the frame.....

The Control Panel Area..... The visible parts can be replaced....
    Last edited by Fishawn; 04-09-2010, 12:28 AM.
    sigpic

Sometimes, you gotta go backward to go forward..... Did some Cleaning & disassembling this afternoon.

Here is the Control Panel & side burner with lighter area cleaned up. The side burner area cleaned up pretty easy, BUT I had caught something on fire inside the grill a couple of years ago, that if you look at the pictures above, I could never get to come off..... I was determined to figure out how to get it off the Control panel, if it would come off, or have to order a new control panel plate. Tried all kinds of cleaners & light abbrasives. Finally a razor blade did the trick, looks really good now

Stripped of most of her hardware & accessories, she looks pretty bare Hope I can remember how it all goes back together Thinking of painting the Black area of the Weber badge on the lower left side of the hood in the same color as the frame, which as of today would be Green? But will probably change in time.

Here's the worst rust spot I found so far..... Not pretty..... My lack of putting on the cover...

Rust spot cut out.... Only to reveal another one, left side below cut out area...

OH Well...... ...... I Figured it would not go perfect & I am just looking to get a few more years out of it if I can...... I picked up some RustOleum Hammered paint..... I was thinking about lightly sanding the frame & grinding the rust spots as needed, then painting the FRAME in this medium Green and the regular high temp black on the hood trim & shining up the stainless hood?..... ?????

Last edited by Fishawn; 04-09-2010, 08:44 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Looks like you are well on your way to bringing this back to tip top. The actual grill box etc. looks to be in good shape and the control panel etc looks like new again.

Nice job, you will have that thing like new in no time.

Comment

Just about done, with the exception of some touch up painting. So far, I am pretty happy with it.

Bad rust area cut out & Galvanized Steel cut to length & bolted to the frame

Frame got a coat of primer

New "Flavorizer" bars. The Stainless Steel burners still work great.....

Black Frame, decided to be conservative....

The rust area replaced & first coat of paint

Bottom frame painted up

Control Panel & side burner attached

Rusted area repaired & painted

Still got some touch up painting to do & a need to find a new thermometer, but getting close.
        sigpic

Comment

Man, you rocked that resto... great job!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

With the exception of final clean up, thermometer & WFT do I do with the SS Hood?.... She is done... Got probably about $65-$70 into the total redo including the "Flavorizer" bars which were $35.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO WITH THE SS HOOD?...... IT LOOKED BAD BEFORE, SO I USED A LIGHT GRINDER ON IT, NOW IT LOOKS WORSE ....... I may try to use a hand sander or an orbital sander & try to get some consistancy to the finish.... ANY SUGGESTIONS? I AM LISTENING... And touch up the black borders will be quick & easy.

Here is a body shot........ Gotta figure something out with the SS hood and then repaint the surrounding Black with the High Temp Black paint. From about 5 feet it almost looks new with the exception of the Hood.

At the Start

Nearly Finished
            Last edited by Fishawn; 04-10-2010, 10:26 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

better then new she looks. maybe some 0000 steel wool might bring the luster of the SS up to par.
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Wow brought her back to life nice job~
                2-22.5'' weber
                1-18'' weber
                1 smokey joe
                22.5'' wsm
                24'' smoke vault
                1-outhouse
                Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...