UDS Charcoal Basket Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDS Charcoal Basket Mod

I was browsing around The Q Joint and ran across this post by smokinok and the mod he made to his basket to control the size of his fire and temp flares when he takes the lid off.
    By adding a baffle he only burns the charcoal on one side of his basket at a time so it controls how much charcoal can burn at one time. Evidently he added a second baffle after he took the pics in the post making it double walled to keep fire from spreading back through it.
    Since my basket doesn't have the central air shaft that his does where his eyebolt is to hook the basket out with, I will just build a double wall baffle that reaches to the center of the basket.

Anyone haveany pro or con thoughts on this?

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5958

Cool idea, but I guess I've never had a whole lot of trouble with runaway temps on my drums. If I leave the lid off for very long, the temps do certainly spike, but they settle back fairly quickly once the lid is back on. Of course, better efficiency would always be nice.

Comment

Interesting.....my drum works so good for me right now I hate to mess with it.
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
        Interesting.....my drum works so good for me right now I hate to mess with it.
        Mike, I'm a tinkerer at heart. Even if something's perfect, I gotta try to make it better.

Comment

I saw that thread too. It looks kind of interesting.

I might have to throw something together and give it a test run.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
          X