Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• herb garden planted

here's what i've got:

went to walmart the other day and picked up seeds for this year's herb garden:

thyme
    oregano
    marjoram
    rosemary
    dill
    common chives
    cilantro/coriander
    genovese basil
    savory
    sage
    italian flat-leaf parsley
    spearmint
    lavender

i planted them in cheap plastic pots (the kind you get from a greenhouse etc.) that are just about the size and shape of a normal old-style tin coffee can. should work pretty well! eventually, i'd like to get them all into larger, nicer-looking planters and line the front walk with them, especially the perennials, but we'll see ~

i'm also looking into the possibility of starting some lemon balm ~ i don't recall seeing it in seed around here, but will check soon!

i'll also be heading out to my parents' place early next week to grab a couple of shoots of french tarragon that i will plant into soil. this will come from a plant that i asked my dad to keep alive over the winter (his thumb is much greener than my own!).

when it comes to tarragon, the best quality comes from french tarragon, which for some reason cannot be grown well (if at all?) from seed. the tarragon seed that you see in stores is russian tarragon, which is of inferior culinary quality. best to acquire a live french tarragon plant, which will continue to thrive and renew itself.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

would love to try another shot of doing a herb garden but its just gets to damn hot here and the last few times i did this they burned up on me...
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Sounds great...I just got done weeding mine and checking the winter damage...We had record snowfall here and everything held up excellent.

Comment

I been lookin high and low for some summer savory seeds...or winter savory...no such luck...
        Looks like my rosemary didnt survive the winter even though I planted the ARP kind which is supposed to be cold tollerant...also the thyme seems to be lifeless which is very unusuall

Good luck on the herbs...they arent too tough to grow as few pests etc will bother them...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Nice assortment of herbs Tas, also great info about the tarragon.
          I only do oregano, greek oregano, basil, borage and mint.
          Should do more but it's enough work to keep up on the veggies and herbs as it is.
          Got some sporadic oregano and mint going, forgot they were there from last year and tilled over them which spread allover, especially the mint!
          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Also to be careful with the lemon balm...Its a member of the mint family and likes to spread...a little easier to control than mint but still...I have it planted most of the border of my garden. Its the only thing I know that will stop the bermuda grass...Also repels squash bugs and most cuke beatles...havent had a squash bug in my garden since the lemon balm first showed up
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              Also repels squash bugs and most cuke beatles...havent had a squash bug in my garden since the lemon balm first showed up
              Great info, thanks!
              Had no idea lemon balm could be used as a companion plant.
              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X