Gobble, Gobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gobble, Gobble

Well hope the hunters are ready and if not its time to get ready. Spring turkey season will be starting soon everywhere. Nothing like wild turkey in the smoker. For those of us lucky enough to be in Kansas archery only season is 04-01 to 04-07, youth and disability is 04-01 to 04-07 and the regular hunt is 04-08 to 05-31. So beginning that first week no turkeys will be seen anywhere within the area. You'll have to hunt them. Yesterday coming into Tonganoxie KS I saw 32 of them, all hens not a single tom in a field about 100' off the highway. I stopped my truck, walked back and counted them. They just kept right on pecking at the ground and didn't pay a bit of attention to me. I am telling ya, when I see that it just upsets me so bad. A month from now, if I even twitch or breathe they will see or hear me 100 yards away. I love hunting turkey, they are so much harder than deer. So this year, anybody bags one and smokes it, you have to post pics. We have to break Kens site in. Has to be a pic with you and your weapon in the pic with the bird. Youth pics are best. A youth who bags a turkey is one happy individual.

A year from now when I completely retire I am going to become a Hunter Safety instructor. All because of this bird that almost became our national bird and symbol. If you can bag a turkey, you can bag anything. Best eyes, best nose and best ears around. Of course they have been known to drown in a rainstorm and they have a tendency to just jump right up in front of your truck worse than deer.
    sigpic

The gobblers around here can see a nose hair twitch at 800 yards. If they weren't so darn horny we wouldn't stand a chance!
    Keith

Comment

Gobbler hunting is my most favorite... I have done wore 1 mouth call out just practicing and we still 1 month from today before we can pull the trigger in TN... I'll be ready....
      Lang and luvin it
      Jim

Comment

I hear ya King, thats all we got going for us. that a little camo, a little cover and a good call with lots of practice. This year will be a challenge. I am taking my 6 year old grandson with me. Didn't get to take him deer hunting because I blew my knee out. But even if we don't bag a turkey he will learn a lot. I'll learn a lot -- patience. Sad thing is in Kansas they only let you bag one per permit. I think the turkey population is getting to be as bad as the deer.
        sigpic

Comment

I have about 75 hens and gobblers that come up to my feeder morning and nite.
          www.darylecoates.com
          Blessed is the person who has a chuck wagon cook for a friend for he shall enjoy food fit for kings.

Comment

Even when they are in season?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
              Even when they are in season?
              They are here year around, right by the house. There is always a little turkey sex going on around here.
              www.darylecoates.com
              Blessed is the person who has a chuck wagon cook for a friend for he shall enjoy food fit for kings.

Comment

Now that's funny I don't care who you are...
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Hate the darn things! All over the place when I can't shoot them, And scarce when I can. Have had a shootable tom within range about six times now, and everytime something goes wrong. It doesn't like my call or I move or something. Turns into a roadrunner and bolts. Grrrr. I didn't even go last year, and probably not again this year. F'in bird.

They are so thick around my place now, I'm hoping to hit one with the Jeep.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                  X