UDS Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDS Question

I notice in the UDS 101 thread that it instructs you to install 3 intakes (1 with a ball valve and 2 with caps).

What is the methodology here? do you just remove the caps if you need air and use the ball valve for a control?

Why not 3 ball valve?

Not an expert here but from my limited understanding you'll need at least one of the capped ends open for sure and the ball valve for control. I guess the second capped vent is if smoking with higher temps or colder weather conditions. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon. You certainly could use 3 ball valves but in this light it is a cost savings.
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

I installed two intake ports on both of my drums. On the first, which is an 85-gallon drum, I installed ball valves on both. On the second (a 55-gal), I just capped one nipple and installed a ball valve on the other. The fact is that a cap is cheaper than a ball valve and you typically would have your second valve all the way open or closed anyway. I've never found there to be an advantage to having both valves partially open on my 85. Also, I can't imagine needing a third intake port based on how my drums cook, and I do a lot of smoking in sub-freezing weather in Montana. That's my two cents.

Comment

Two caps an a ball valve on mine. When I fire it up all three er open. Then as I get closer ta temp I put on another cap, then if needed cap the second, if that chokes er down to much, I open it up an regulate with the ball valve.

Just seems ta work.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marz View Post
          Why not 3 ball valve?
          for one, that gets expensive. and B. it's easier controlling the temps with just one ball valve. You put trying to control the fire with all three ball valves, you will end up chasing your tail.

jmtcw

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

thanks guys, that was burning a hole in my brain...

Waiting on a call back for a banded lid drum, so I am obviously soaking up as much info as I can.

Comment

Build ya one....best dern smoker I ever had so far. Fuel efficient!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

What Tip and WD said.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                X