Virgin Sourdough Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Sourdough Attempt

When I was home brewing beer, there was a saying...Don't worry, relax and have a home brew! It worked in all kinds of situations, and the real meaning was that in making the brew, don't get worked up about about it, because it's gonna turn out OK! I find that Sourdough is about the same way.

I got some of Keith's sourdough through an exchange, and have gotten it rehydrated and have been keeping it fed and fairly active. I set out to make some bread today, and here is how it turned out.

I'm learning some of the terms...and there is good reason that this is called the sponge.

Had the Kitchen Aid help me with the mixing part...

I did the kneading part...

It turned out a good looking hunk-O-dough

While it raised I did some work around the house. Here is a pic of the beautiful sky and my purple martins flying around. There are a bunch of them here now...there are 12 in this picture.

More Martins...

Back to the sourdough...Man did this raise.

I decided on 2 french loaves and a regular loaf.

Man were these good! The trouble is, I need to cut the recipe in half. I gave away some to my neighbors...needless to say they love me!

It was awesome. I can't wait to make some sourdough pancakes too! Thanks Keith and Tracey for putting up with my rookie questions. I think I am on my way!
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

If that isn't some beautiful bread, I don't know what is! Whatever you do, don't cut the recipe in half. This bread freezes quite well and there will always be a neighbor or good friend just waiting. I actually modified the recipe so I could make more (about 5 loaves at once). My wife like the big dinner rolls which also freeze well. Just take a couple out of the zip lock and keep the rest in the freezer. For your first sourdough bread, I give you .
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Ya see, Bassman comes to the rescue again. What was I thinking about cutting the recipe in half. I was a flat hero for walking some piping hot bread to my neighbor. You are right Keith, if I'm making bread, I'm gonna make all I can. Glad I thought of it!
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Get on it!....Man, i love this stuff!....he heeee.....i'm gettin fat just lookin! Pancakes & rooster bullets & bacon....
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Damn! I tried three times and aint come up with anything like that! The first two loafs went straight in the trash! I need to get some advice or else get my bread from the store................................
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

WOW Great Looking bread. You guys almost got my arm twisted enough to try and make some bread. I get a sour dough bread at Norm's in Richville Michigan and its just to die for. One slice of bread I have to cut in half which will make a normal size sammich.
            If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
            Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Dana - those are awesome! from me as well.

I smiled to myself when I read... "making three.." I'll bet you thought your kitchen was going to explode when those babies kept swelling up!

With that recipe, if I just make three loaves they won't fit in my toaster!

Keep on it, your starter will just keep getting better and better.
              Tracey

Comment

Man that's some great lookin stuff! I gotta learn to do some of that! great work!
                JT

Comment

Super nice! Looks like you got your starter real active before hand. Sweet
                  Keith

Comment

yowza...that looks good....Great job on this dana..

Comment

virgin attempt my ass those look professional to me.....nice job i hope i do a great job like that when i do my bread ..... brother

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                      If that isn't some beautiful bread, I don't know what is! Whatever you do, don't cut the recipe in half. This bread freezes quite well and there will always be a neighbor or good friend just waiting. I actually modified the recipe so I could make more (about 5 loaves at once). My wife like the big dinner rolls which also freeze well. Just take a couple out of the zip lock and keep the rest in the freezer. For your first sourdough bread, I give you .
                      bassman let me ask you a ??? on freezing do you do this after the rise or before
                      Mike
                      Oklahoma City
                      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                      Weber 22.5 Performer
                      GOSM 3405gw
                      Boomer Sooner Drum
                      Maverick ET-732
                      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

from me too !
                        Those are excellent looking loaves.
                        :-)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Sheesh..... That stuff looks perfect Dana .... $4.00 a loaf at the Farmers Market & some creepy guy is selling it.... .... One of these days I will get on the bread wagon.... For now, all you guys are rocking it good. Great Job
                          sigpic

Comment

very nice ~ looks like a professional job to me!
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                              virgin attempt my ass those look professional to me.....nice job i hope i do a great job like that when i do my bread ..... brother

bassman let me ask you a ??? on freezing do you do this after the rise or before
                              I freeze after they are baked and cooled. My wife separates them before freezing so she can take out just two or three without having to thaw the whole bag.
                              sigpic
                              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                              X