File Cabinet Smoker Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Cabinet Smoker Build

Started building another File Cabinet Smoker today. Got the 2 cabinets a couple of years ago and set them aside for this. When completed it will be a lump burner with a smoke box 15"X25". Enough to do a few butts for sure. I have the stack all built and ready to go, I went with one 4" stack 2 feet high. Air intake will be controlled by a 1" ball valve down on the firebox. Here is the kicker on the entire project, my doctor told my wife and I that I can not weld anymore and my wife is being pretty hard on me about it. So this is all nuts and bolts and rivet job. Makes it hard, but sometimes ya just got to over come, adapt and improvise.

So on to the pictures.

First, this is the bottom half -- file cabinet. The firebox will be in the drawer section;

This is a top view. You can see where I cut the holes for the heat flow. Don't know if I'll leave it this way or put in some type of baffle. Also, you can see the stainless rails I added to support the top half -- the smoke box.

Now, this is the top half -- the smoke box. I already have added the rails for the rack. I still need to rivet on the top along with high temp sealant. The door is off to the side out of picture.

So thats where the project sits. I have the angle iron to set the entire build on cut. Got the wheels to bolt onto the angle to move it around. I am headed off to get some oven rope and expanded metal. Unless something comes up, I'll have this finished today and ready to burn off. Then I'll brush off all the burnt paint and crap, get it cleaned up and put the high temp paint on it, probably black.

I'll update later.
    sigpic

Bummer, How come ya can't weld anymore Dave?

Comment

i think we may have to coin a new category for this :-)

I hereby christen it a UCS - ugly cabinet smoker :-)

but i for one will be watching closely, i can't weld ! So this is my kind of build

can you think of any way of insulating it ?
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
        Bummer, How come ya can't weld anymore Dave?

All because of my idiotic seizure syndrome I got after an accident I was in when I was a cop. A few weeks ago I was welding and didn't bother to go get my hood. I just turned my head and went at it. About 5 minutes later or so a friend found me laying out beside the tractor in the driveway. Doc had warned me before, now my wife has taken my sticks away from. So now I either have to get a neighbor to do my welding or wait for one of my boys to drop in. Life ain't no fun. Sometimes I just used to weld stuff so I could smell the place up. Made it seemed like I was working when I didn't have anything to do.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
          i think we may have to coin a new category for this :-)

I hereby christen it a UCS - ugly cabinet smoker :-)

but i for one will be watching closely, i can't weld ! So this is my kind of build

can you think of any way of insulating it ?

CA, ya done good brother!
          sigpic

Comment

Never got more work done it today. Things all went FUBAR on me. Went to get the last of the supplies to finish it and came back to a mess. Friend of mine went to get some nitrogen for me and screwed it up. He also had to get me some more pre-emergent and the fool didn't get the valves shut on the tanks in between fills. So when I got here I discovered the tanks all mixed and he was gone. Ain't life grand, another $600 shot. So now I guess I'll use it on a field for some sedan grass. Upside that that is, I did manage to get all my corn put in today. That will make the cows happy come September.

When I do more work on this beast, I'll post the pics.
            sigpic

Comment

looks cool david ...i will be watching this one i have a 5 foot cabinent in my garage just sitting there ...this might be a good use for it....
              Mike
              Oklahoma City
              22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
              Weber 22.5 Performer
              GOSM 3405gw
              Boomer Sooner Drum
              Maverick ET-732
              Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
              A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Hey Mike, check this video out. Its a 5 foot cabinet also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0EFJEfgBw
                sigpic

Comment

Cool David! I will be keeping an eye on this for sure!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

My parts manager at the copter shop is watching this. Got an old 4 drawer at work that is not being used may have a new purpose.....
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

This could be a pretty cool smoker way to go
                      Jerod
                      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                      sigpic

Comment

Dave, looking good so far. All the best bud. As 88 would say. Get after it...
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        KCBS CBJ

Comment

Man I did that at work once.... I smoked a shoulder and three racks of ribs before the big boss came down and fired me right there on the spot.

Thing is, about 4 days later they called and wanted to know if I could come back to work part time...
                          sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                            My parts manager at the copter shop is watching this. Got an old 4 drawer at work that is not being used may have a new purpose.....
                            Slanted, have the boss look at this propane file cabinet smoker......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0EFJEfgBw
                            sigpic

Comment

Progress today. Got the top half bolted on, side angle bracing added. But the storms came before I could get pictures of the updates. If no rain tomorrow I'll get the door on, vent stack added, bottom angle for the wheels added and the wheels put on and air intake valve. After that, burn in time. Hopefully I won't have much touch-up sealing to do. And the paint, probably black. Depends though, if the rain continues the paint will have to wait until next week.

We decided today the meat of choice for the christening. We were going to fill it full of ribs but changed our minds. Instead I have this really nice Berkshire pork loin in the fridge. I am going to slice it up about 2" think and wrap them with bacon. Add in some Dutch's beans and smoked corn on the cob. That will be the meal of choice for Saturday or Sunday.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X