Slowly aquring stuff, need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowly aquring stuff, need opinions

I would like opinions on this trailer build. The back end I would like to make a direct grill out of the smaller tank. Which would be better?
    The four seasons

salt
    pepper
    mustard
    vinegar

Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Orion Cook
    Big Easy
    Eastman Turkey Fryer
    2- refrigerator smoker in progress
    1- RF trailer build in progress
    UDS
    Brinkman Gourmet
    Great Outdoors Gas

IMO, I would say B. If you configured it that way you have one intake. And it would be in the flat side. Air would or should flow under the entire bed of coals. If you turned the tank, I would think you would need two intakes, or one on the side of the tank..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I would say B also, with the wheels closer to the firebox!
      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

As Ken said, B would be the better smoker design. But as far as trailering, I'm not sure. You may have to shift the whole thing forward. Maybe some of the guys can chime in here, but I've towed my share of trailers. If it isn't balanced right, it's a pain in the arse. Best to figure it out in the build stage, than wrestle it while pulling it.
        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
        New Braunfels Bandera
        UniFlame Gas Grill
        Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
          I would say B also, with the wheels closer to the firebox!
          I agree!
          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

B....also consider if ya hata lean in or ya got sliders....Ya dont wanna stradle a tire....
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

yup the boys are right about shifting things around. design wise not really sure on that but as far as setup in relation to axle and tongue. the pics as you have illustrated, it appears both would have a negative tongue weight and you dont want that. always want the balance point set so you will have forward weight.
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I considered doing "A" when I built mine. The tough part about it is mating the round edge and flat surface. Not impossible, but not nearly as easy as "B" would be. As stated before keep your weight foreward and consider whether you want to stand on, or next to your trailer to Q. I've seen both done. Another thing I've seen is people making the smoker, the actual frame of the trailer. If your material is stout enough, it's something to consider. Good luck and take lots of pics.
                JT

Comment

Originally posted by etcher1 View Post
                  I would like opinions on this trailer build. The back end I would like to make a direct grill out of the smaller tank. Which would be better?
                  If I am understanding you correctly the smaller tank on the rear will be a grill?
                  and the larger tank a smoker? where would the fire box be located?
                  and if in fact the rear smaller tank were to be a grill. I think it would be to low to the ground. and you would have to be bending over it. a good height it seems would to have it mounted in front of the big tank directly on the trailer bed.
                  then of course you could make a square fire box on the rear of the big tank and have a horizontal box built on top of the fire bx for a warmer / cold smoker and with more fuel a smoker/ cooker also.

Just me, but A and B do not look at all good. and seem extremely impracticle.
                  sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                  nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

The smaller tank would be the firebox. I was just wondering if you could use it as a small grill also. If it in not a good idea then I'll skip that.
                    As far as trailer balance I can move the axle where ever I need to make it right.
                    It will not be a problem to add an extra axle if needed. Having trouble trying to decide what to do
                    The four seasons

salt
                    pepper
                    mustard
                    vinegar

Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                    Orion Cook
                    Big Easy
                    Eastman Turkey Fryer
                    2- refrigerator smoker in progress
                    1- RF trailer build in progress
                    UDS
                    Brinkman Gourmet
                    Great Outdoors Gas

Comment

Using example B, why not put the firebox in front and adjust the weight so you have 60% over the axle and the other 40% forward of the axle? You should be able to access everything without climbing on it.
                      sigpic
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      New Braunfels Hondo
                      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                      1-26" Weber Kettle
                      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Good point Mikey, thats what I was gonna suggest, just swap sides.

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                        Using example B, why not put the firebox in front and adjust the weight so you have 60% over the axle and the other 40% forward of the axle? You should be able to access everything without climbing on it.

Comment

Working...
                        X