Sourdough & Starters Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough & Starters Water

I seen a post Lee made about his sponge method..

Water for your starter or bread... Does it or does it not make a difference in the bread or starter if you use tap, spring, well, distilled water??

City water has fluoride a chlorine added... Spring is filtered.. Well water is only as good as the filter.. and Distilled... Everything has been boiled out of it..

Any thoughts on this.. Have you tried changing water and seen a difference??
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

i did Lee's sponge method, and just used tap water........its city water, so what ever the city of Des Moines add to it.........but it werked out great.

Going to start the 1847 Oregon Trail Starter, here in just a few minutes....and am going to use tap water again.........tho i DO have a R/O unit.........hmmmmmmmmmm

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      I seen a post Lee made about his sponge method..

Water for your starter or bread... Does it or does it not make a difference in the bread or starter if you use tap, spring, well, distilled water??

City water has fluoride a chlorine added... Spring is filtered.. Well water is only as good as the filter.. and Distilled... Everything has been boiled out of it..

Who in their right mind would filter well water? Unless it's a hand dug Amish well.

Any thoughts on this.. Have you tried changing water and seen a difference??
      I use my tap water. Straight from my 750 foot deep well. My sponges are very active. I used bottled spring water at first and didn't notice a difference.

Tom

Comment

Let city water sit overnight er a bit longer an most a the chlorine will be gone. Flouride shouldn't hurt a thin, give ya nice perty teeth!
        sigpic

Comment

I never noticed any difference. The first starter I made, I lived in city limits and used tap water. Now I have well water and just use that, no difference. It just take time for the starter to develop it's own distinct thing. Sourdough pancakes are the best. There is another starter called a herman. It is for sweet stuff like cakes and stuff. Ever have anyone give you a amish friendship cake starter, thats a herman.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
            I never noticed any difference. The first starter I made, I lived in city limits and used tap water. Now I have well water and just use that, no difference. It just take time for the starter to develop it's own distinct thing. Sourdough pancakes are the best. There is another starter called a herman. It is for sweet stuff like cakes and stuff. Ever have anyone give you a amish friendship cake starter, thats a herman.
            we have herman/amish freindship starter...........but when it was given to us it was a freindship starter. BUT when you mentioned HERMAN.........THAT brought back memories........i have know folks that had a starter, and it was herman..........i just thought they named their STARTER !

lol

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

LMAO

Comment

More about the water

I have a book i checked out from the library. World Sourdoughs from Antiquity, by Ed Wood. He talks about water quality. And i quote

"One seldom has control over one's source of water. Fortunately, water quality rarely poses a problem. Medium-hard water is perhaps best. It is said that soft water results in sticky doughs that are difficult to handle. But we have even used distilled water on occasion and found it difficult to detect any difference in dough consistency. Extremely alkaline water, however, will inhibit wild yeast activity and result in poor leavening. Contrary to considerable printed advice, trace metals usually have no deleterious effect, nor do fluoride additives. High iron concentrations also are of no consequence. One potential problem is chlorine. We have never had a problem using chlorinated water, but others have reported that avoiding water with chlorine has solved problems with their sourdough baking"

So as Tip mentioned, which i also know, just let your water set out overnite. The chlorine will evaporate.

Comment

bump

Comment

I use softened water for mine with no problem. I suppose there's a little chlorine left in it even after my whole house filter. Just never thought much about it.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      I use my tap water. Straight from my 750 foot deep well. My sponges are very active. I used bottled spring water at first and didn't notice a difference.
                      Same here ... straight from the well. Caught the wild yeast in my back yard. Have had this starter for over a year now. I feed it every few weeks and it's real active.

Comment

Thats a pretty long life span between feedings. ( 3 weeks) I can only get up to 12 day's without a refreshment ( jokes welcome lol) and it kicks the bucket. But then again, ny starter only totals 2 1/2 cups @ 1:1

QUOTE=cajun_1;13304]Same here ... straight from the well. Caught the wild yeast in my back yard. Have had this starter for over a year now. I feed it every few weeks and it's real active.[/QUOTE]

Comment

[QUOTE=SmokinLee;13319]Thats a pretty long life span between feedings. ( 3 weeks) I can only get up to 12 day's without a refreshment ( jokes welcome lol) and it kicks the bucket. But then again, ny starter only totals 2 1/2 cups @ 1:1

I guess "few" was a wrong choice of wording. I actually feed it every 2 weeks. But I do take it out of the fridge every Friday night and let it warm up and bubble. I stir it a few times during that period then back into the fridge (If I don't deceide to use some of it). This process has worked well for me.
                          I do not pour the "hooch" off, just stir it back in.......

Comment

I guess "few" was a wrong choice of wording. I actually feed it every 2 weeks. But I do take it out of the fridge every Friday night and let it warm up and bubble. I stir it a few times during that period then back into the fridge (If I don't deceide to use some of it). This process has worked well for me.
                            I do not pour the "hooch" off, just stir it back in.......[/QUOTE]

When you have it out and bubbling, you can feed it a teaspoon or so of sugar just to make sure it doesn't die. I have done this on several occasions and I've had this starter for about 24 years.
                            sigpic
                            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

tater water also werks !

Comment

Working...
                              X