Pre Burn Barrel..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre Burn Barrel..??

I think that a pre-burn barrel, is what I need ,to cook on my stick burner more efficiently. Does any one have a burn barrel build design to suggest? I am also interested in the Pros and Cons of a burn barrel, ifin yous got any.
    Much appreciated!
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Yes Ryan I know of a good thread on a pre-burn set up... But that site is not available at this time..

Pros...

You get the best smoke ever...

Cons ...

You burn a S-load of wood..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I made a pre-burn barrel a few years ago and it works fine. BUT....................Yep, always a big but. You burn a LOT of wood this way. Yes you get thin blue right off the bat, but if you have a way to pre-heat your splits, it works great.
      What I do is split my logs small and let it season for 10 to 12 months. When I start my smoker I pile the splits in the firebox, crank up the propane lighter and let the wood burn to nice red coals. Then add splits as needed. While all this is going on, I place splits on top of the fire box. The flash point of wood is around 500°, so the object is to get the wood close to that before adding to the firebox. When the smoker gets up to temp I throw the food on. When I need to add a split, I take it off the firebox and throw it in. It catches fire immediately and burns down to coals very quickly.
      This is what I did before my smoker mods. I'll post a tour of my smoker soon, and show why that's what I USED to do. Now I have a different system. And it doesn't involve a pre-burn barrel.

Tom

Comment

Get a 30 gal barrel with the top cut out. About 1 foot from the bottom cut or drill some 1/2" holes so that rods can be shoved all the way thru in about 3 different directions. Next, from the bottom of the barrel cut a hole a little wider than a shovel and half moon it nearly up to the rods. Put wood in the top o the barrel and light it from the bottom. When it turns to coals they will drop thru the rods into the bottom to be shoveled up and placed into your smoker. I made mine out of an old water pressure tank. It sure doesn't have to be very fancy.
        www.darylecoates.com
        Blessed is the person who has a chuck wagon cook for a friend for he shall enjoy food fit for kings.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          I made a pre-burn barrel a few years ago and it works fine. BUT....................Yep, always a big but. You burn a LOT of wood this way. Yes you get thin blue right off the bat, but if you have a way to pre-heat your splits, it works great.
          What I do is split my logs small and let it season for 10 to 12 months. When I start my smoker I pile the splits in the firebox, crank up the propane lighter and let the wood burn to nice red coals. Then add splits as needed. While all this is going on, I place splits on top of the fire box. The flash point of wood is around 500°, so the object is to get the wood close to that before adding to the firebox. When the smoker gets up to temp I throw the food on. When I need to add a split, I take it off the firebox and throw it in. It catches fire immediately and burns down to coals very quickly.
          This is what I did before my smoker mods. I'll post a tour of my smoker soon, and show why that's what I USED to do. Now I have a different system. And it doesn't involve a pre-burn barrel.

Tom thank you very much for the great advice... I dont seem to be able to get very good(seasoned) wood around here yet.. But by doing what you described, I had a much easier time keepimg my temps up and getting great TBS on the lang this weekend........points
          Mike
          Smokin' in Fla
          Go Gators
          My toys
          sigpic

Comment

Always happy to help. Glad it worked out for you.

Tom

Comment

Ryan, here are some pics from a thread on smf that i had copied awhile back. had thought to do this some day. Was from SoFlaQuer

hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you BigRed..any help is appreciated. Hookin up with some sticks for burning here in the desert southwest is a job in itself. Wood is far and few. I need to be as efficient as I can with my fuel wood, without the billowing white smoke.
                Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X