Beechwood smoked Polly-O string cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beechwood smoked Polly-O string cheese

In the past week I have seen a few posts where someone smoked some string cheese, they looked so good I definitely had to give it a try.
    Thinking about a beer batter when they are finished to see if the mozz stick would retain any smoke flavor after deep frying.
    I had cooked a few racks of ribs earlier so I let the CG cool down to about 70 degrees, had 3-4 coals going with beechwood chips for steady smoke.
    The girl sure is getting a good workout Phil, hot and cold smoking all in one day and holding beautiful temps the whole time.

Added some chipotles to do a batch of rub, I like to give them a second dose of smoke.

Tried one before sealing and it was good but of course nothing like it will be after resting for a few weeks.
    I'll report back how they came out then and if I make mozz sticks out of them as well
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Damn......I break out the fryer very rarely,but the mozz sticks will justify the oil it takes when i do some other things as well...

Comment

You sure can roll a beaut of a cheese stick LOL. Sounds like a great plan.

Comment

Looks great. I'm just waiting for WALLE to smoke some more and maybe I can raid his stash.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Cool! A friend at work eats that string cheese all the time...after eating some of my smoked cheddar he was wondering about smoked string...
          Well I was gonna do it and just spaced it out...thanks for reminding me...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
            Looks great. I'm just waiting for WALLE to smoke some more and maybe I can raid his stash.
            All in good time, my friend

FIU - what kind of peppers are those? They look like pablano's. I love peppers but obviously don't know much about them. I thought chipotle was dried/smokes japs? Guess I'm comparing them to the size of the cheese - if they are japs, they are HUGE!

I think I'm going to try drying/smoking some pablanos this summer, which I believe are called anchos at that point. To do that, do you let them vine ripen (turn red), or just pick them, hang/dry/smoke?

Any help with my pepper learn'en is much appreciated!

Oh yeah - both the cheese and peppers look awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
              FIU - what kind of peppers are those? I thought chipotle was dried/smokes japs? Guess I'm comparing them to the size of the cheese - if they are japs, they are HUGE!

I think I'm going to try drying/smoking some pablanos this summer, which I believe are called anchos at that point. To do that, do you let them vine ripen (turn red), or just pick them, hang/dry/smoke?
              There were chipotles and yes, chipotles are smoked jalapenos but the ones I use are larger than many dried chipotles.
              Poblanos are dried and become anchos but I don't believe they smoke them and can be done green/black or red but Alex would be able to give you the best information on the true process.

sigpic

Comment

Opened the cheese yesterday, they rested for 11 days and I figured that was enough.
                They turned out very good, still pulled like string cheese and had the smoky flavor throughout that you would expect from a smoked cheese.
                Fired up the grill and threw on some steak-umm burgers, topped with pico de gallo and smoked mozz served on grilled flatbread.

It was a tasty burger, the smoke flavor never seems to come through quite as much after cheese gets heated so I'm thinking of adding some of the remaining ones into a smoky caprese salad.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                  All in good time, my friend

Any help with my pepper learn'en is much appreciated!

Oh yeah - both the cheese and peppers look awesome!
                  I let the anchos(red -ripe-poblano)Get real red,maybe 2 weeks from first blush from green and cold smoke the split peppers and dehydrate....

Ancho skin can be tough so i roast,peel,smoke and dehydrate,but it isnt necessary....

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                    Opened the cheese yesterday, they rested for 11 days and I figured that was enough.
                    They turned out very good, still pulled like string cheese and had the smoky flavor throughout that you would expect from a smoked cheese.
                    Fired up the grill and threw on some steak-umm burgers, topped with pico de gallo and smoked mozz served on grilled flatbread.

It was a tasty burger, the smoke flavor never seems to come through quite as much after cheese gets heated so I'm thinking of adding some of the remaining ones into a smoky caprese salad.
                    Looks good man...I wanna try battering and frying some as well....

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                      Looks good man...I wanna try battering and frying some as well....
                      That's another thing I really want to try with them because smoked mozzarella sticks with a good marinara sauce...that would be great!
                      I'm thinking beer battered would be the way to go since I'm figuring it would be harder to get breadcrumbs to stick to that skin that forms after smoking them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                        That's another thing I really want to try with them because smoked mozzarella sticks with a good marinara sauce...that would be great!
                        I'm thinking beer battered would be the way to go since I'm figuring it would be harder to get breadcrumbs to stick to that skin that forms after smoking them.
                        Good point on the sticking....Man..I just got out of garden and have a powerfull hunger now...Gonna make a sandwich...I rarely eat the mozz sticks,but i love them things with a good dipping sauce....

Comment

Sweet Sticks man!

I need a big boy smoker bad!
                          ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Working...
                          X