Asparagus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus

Just wonderin if anyone uses salt tossed around asparagus plants to control weeds. I have heard about it for as many years as I have had my asparagus planted. I just want an opinion from this forum, cuz of the great gardeners and I can get alot conflicting advice from the web.

Have never heard of this and I just started my first bed. Do you just sprinkle it in and around the shoots? What's the principle here. Make the soil too salty for other plants and the asparagus doesn't mind? you've got my curiosity up.
    JT

Comment

Never heard of it. Only use salt on the dang palm trees in the yard. Louie's Washingtonia is addicted to water softener pellets...
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yea just maybe water softener salt would be best, seeins that it's pretty pure. But I just remember when I planted this bed 17 years ago the ol farmer down the road said to sprinkle rock salt around the bed to keep the weeds down and it won't hurt the asparagus. Just had our first meal of it tonight.

Comment

Tell me where your patch is and i'll weed it Lee!

Comment

It's just out back Steve.

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
            Tell me where your patch is and i'll weed it Lee!

Comment

Cant help on the salt....My 80 year old neighbor just gets down and dirty and hand weeds his patch...He has alot of time on his hands though...He must work in his yard/garden 16 hours a day.....

Comment

I always heard to dump the water and salt from your ice cream maker on the asperagus bed for weed controll. Dont know what it is about asperagus that could grow in that kinda soil...Also dont know if its true...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Hmmm I'd be careful...salt leaches easily into surrounding soil. Weeds... I notice when picking the wild stuff the weeds will keep the new shoots white and really tender a day or so longer. Maybe you WANT weeds?
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

here it grows wild along the rio grande banks and irrigation ditches. that stuff is way better then store bought. never have tried to grow it. and the only thing I have heard salt used on was coconut and palm trees.
                    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

There is alot of wild plants along the ditches and elsewhere, you can see em in the fall when they fern out. I always wanted to make a map of them all and start collecting in the spring. but I get more than I need out of my patch.

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                      here it grows wild along the rio grande banks and irrigation ditches. that stuff is way better then store bought. never have tried to grow it. and the only thing I have heard salt used on was coconut and palm trees.

Comment

Working...
                      X