metel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metel

Is there a place online you can order stock metal? I need some for my 500 gallon build. I know I need a 4x8 sheet either 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick steel. Then either tubing or 2 inch angle iron for the base. Then some 1/8th or so sheet for the reverse setup inside. I know of one local place but their rather high.
    Any ideas on what I should look for on prices

There are some online places, but I would be scared to see the cost of shipping foe a 4 X 8 sheet in quarter or half inch thickness. I'll call my local supplier when I get back from lunch and edit this post to add the price. I can also add that you might want to search out a local salvage yard. You might be surprised what you can find there.

Sent from an android mobile device.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

bigtim665

You are correct, Today the cost of metal is high. We have several places around here and it keeps going up.
      I would think trying to order it and the cost of shipping a few pieces might not be worth the effort.
      You might try the local machine shop. they are normally good folks and they buy that kinda stuff for builds. They might be able to help you obtain some material a little cheaper then the pipe metal and steel places.
      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I called a local metal shop surpisingly not as bad as I thought. He said 1/4 would last for a long time and more so with the fire bricks I plan to use. 244 plus 17.50 to cut it down to 2x2 pieces. Then 52 for 15 feet of 2 inch 3/16 square tubing.
        Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
        There are some online places, but I would be scared to see the cost of shipping foe a 4 X 8 sheet in quarter or half inch thickness. I'll call my local supplier when I get back from lunch and edit this post to add the price. I can also add that you might want to search out a local salvage yard. You might be surprised what you can find there.

Sent from an android mobile device.

Comment

A good place on the internet for comparison purposes is:

http://www.metalsdepot.com/

They currently have a 4X8 sheet of 1/4" plate for $211.00. Shipping to my zip code adds another $132.45.

For a 4X8 sheet of 1/2" plate, they have a price of 439.04 and shipping is actually a bit cheaper at $122.74.

I'm waiting for a call back from a local supplier for comparison purposes.

ON Edit: Local supplier listed $201.00. Your price is not bad given geographical differences and local demands. Especially if they can cut it up to your dimensions. If you were to have it shipped in, you would have to have the ability to unload it, and a 1/4" sheet would weigh 330 lbs.

Good Luck and happy smoking!
          Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM.
          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

1/2 inch ....................holy crap
            Jerod
            GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X