OK,,, BIG decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK,,, BIG decision

There are these certain chocolate pies that aren't made anymore. My wife uses these pies to make her chocolate cheesecake. The thing is I'm thinkin this one pie is bordering it's expiration date. Yeah these pies are frozen but still, it not stated on the pie box anywhere that freezing will extend this date.

I think it needs to be eaten immediately to prevent "food loss"

Advice anyone?

Theres a cornfield out back but its plowed as of the moment and no corn is growing so thats no help.

She keeps muttering something about ham and cats....
    Now everyone knows my hams won't go bad..
    sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

I was listening to a report on NPR about this very thing. No, not your chocolate pie, but expiration dates. The thing is, these dates are not put on food items using any scientific method. They are simply suggestions or even guesses as to when the food might not be as good as when first produced. My wife has a real phobia when it comes to expiration dates and if it is close then the food is bad. This radio report and I share the same philosophy. Use your own senses to determine freshness. How does the food look? Good.
    How does the food smell? Good. OK, taste a little. Tastes good. Food is OK.
    For the most part, IMHO, expiration dates are simply a way to sell more product.
    Now an open bottle of salsa that is all moldy. regardless of age, I'll throw out.
    Frozen chocolate pie? I'll sit down and eat some with you.

Comment

If expiration dates have anything to do with the freezer section, I'm going to die when I smoke that turkey I bought last Thanksgiving. Eat the pie!
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
        If expiration dates have anything to do with the freezer section, I'm going to die when I smoke that turkey I bought last Thanksgiving. Eat the pie!
        For sure!

Besides, its chocolate... ask any woman, that NEVER goes bad!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
          For sure!

Besides, its chocolate... ask any woman, that NEVER goes bad!
          Hell yeah! Send it over here and I'll stuff the turkey with it.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Not sure if you can trust a choc pie in the freezer I suggest taking it out now and eating it as fast as possible
            sigpic
            Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
            Great Out doors grill
            Brinkman verticle
            And one great UDS
            Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Dick View Post
              Frozen chocolate pie? I'll sit down and eat some with you.
              Buddy, you got a deal. I'll have half while you keep watch, then you can have half while I keep watch. If all goes well, we'll put the empty box on the bottom toward the back and by then maybe my hams will be done...
              sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

why not just encourage her to make the cheesecake with it

If the pie is just one ingredient - that's got to be a pretty decent cheesecake !
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by DangerDan View Post

Theres a cornfield out back but its plowed as of the moment and no corn is growing so thats no help.

She keeps muttering something about ham and cats....
                  Now everyone knows my hams won't go bad..
                  No- the hams won't go bad, but the cats might. In this case the unplanted plowed cornfield MAY come in handy.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

In 1975(wow- that seems like a long time ago) while we were on field manuevers we got served C rations that were made in 1967. The food tasted about as good as C's ever did , but it was'nt spoiled after 8 years.

A good explanation on food dates-

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/gu...n-dates-matter

Comment

Working...
                    X