Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gin soaked (cured?) salmon

Hi All.
    I haven't posted anything for a while. I have been reading all your posts and enjoying the inspirations but the growing season is upon me and life is crazy.
    Anyway. I wanted to share this. I got the recipe from a friend from another site. I have made it a few time, but never smoked it.
    Basically it's gravalox, but with a few 'nips' of gin added to the sugar and salt cure.

Here is a pound of salmon, 100 grams of salt and 100 grams of white sugar in the bowl and then I mixed in a few nips of cheap gin.

In the tub,

Weighted down and on the way to the fridge for 48 hours getting happy.

I'm going to pull it in two days and I think I'll cold smoke it after I taste it. I don't know if the gin will 'go' with smoke...thoughts?

Stay tuned.....
    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Get after it Sister! Gin....hmm, interesting. Thinkin that it'll have a cool taste...ain't sure.
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Right on Mo... Not sure about the Gin???? What kind of wood are you going to use on the cold smoke?
      Last edited by Fishawn; 04-23-2010, 09:24 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

How did it go MO???? At the least you have some gin left..

Comment

Interesting................Salmartini, shaken not stirred please

Comment

Hmm, gin, salt & sugar and salmon.

could be a triumph or a disaster.

I reckon it should work - be very interested to hear your opinion on it :-)
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

My wife loves smoked fish let us know how it turns out I might try this one.
              sigpic
              Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
              Great Out doors grill
              Brinkman verticle
              And one great UDS
              Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

I forgot to take pictures of the finished product:(
                I cold smoked for 2 hours with apple (it's all I had). I took it to a party and everyone loved it, even peole who don't like gin really liked it.
                The gin/sugar flavor is sort of like a gin tonic flavor profile. The salmon with it is clean. The smoke and gin added an unexpected flavor that, from looking at the salmon you wouldn't think you would be getting.
                I really liked it.
                I had way too much sugar and salt cure for 1 pound of fish. I didn't use even 1/2 of it.
                If/when I do this again I would use more like 30 grams each of salt and sugar and maybe 1 or 2 ounces of gin.
                Thanks for looking.
                "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Looks great! I bet a little capers and red onion would go great with the Gin flavors. Thanks for the post!
                  Keith

Comment

Working...
                  X