issue with build need some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issue with build need some advice.

Ok plan was to leave the 500 gallon tank at our shop till I got my trailer and mig welder this summer. Well with some issues with the land owner and some of our business partners acting like kids we might be restructuring things. So we might be moving to a new location. Well dad does not want me to bring the big tank to our house as it looks like crap. I can take it to the house we just bought till I get ready but there are some issues with that. Mainly I do not want to have to move the tank more then once. SO I am thinking if I sand blast it and primer it he might let me sit it behind the house and cover it with a tarp or something.

I plan on using high heat powder coat on it in place of paint. If I sand blast it and primer it will the primer cause any issues down the road with the powder coating. If not what primer would you recommend.

Also I noticed at the local rural king they sell the stuff to do your own powder coating. Is this even something I should consider doing my self.

Just my $.02, but I am an extreme DIY'er and I would not attempt to powder coat myself...especially something that large. You will need an oven to set the powder, and that will be a problem for most of us.

My best advice is to call a local powder coater and ask them about a primer coat. They will be able to tell you if there would be any issues with applying that under their finish coat.

Good luck,
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
      If I sand blast it and primer it will the primer cause any issues down the road with the powder coating. If not what primer would you recommend.

Also I noticed at the local rural king they sell the stuff to do your own powder coating. Is this even something I should consider doing my self.
      Nah, I wouldn't try this in your un-equipped shop or outside enviroment. Yeah it will cause problems primed . It's called "out gassing" even if the primer is rated for high heat the curing it goes through during the post coat bake, it will still out gas on you. You'll experience many tiny little bubbles that get trapped at the finishes surface. You could bake it prior to PC but what if the primer fails under the PC. If you get rust started under the coating anywhere it'll spread pretty quickly. Especially in the Heated enviroment.

I'd suggest a clean bast and coat w/no primer. Blast to a minimum surface peak profile of 2.9 and you should be good to go with a 5-7 mil finish. High temp. PC is expensinve though. Especially on a larger tank.
      sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Just my .02 here. I have worked for one of the largest powder coating facilities here in southern Mn for a number of years. If you have to let it sit for a while, do not use a primer. Instead, get a quality metal wash. It will be the same stuff the powder coating operations will use. It is almost like a car antifreeze, and when applied to freshly blasted steel, it prevents flash rust from happening. A good body shop supply store should carry something like that, if not, Eastwood does as there is where I get mine. As far as powder coating yourself, what was said below is correct. You will need a good size oven capable of maintaining even temps. Usually when we did objects of great size, the item was preheated, brought into the spray booth, sprayed then back into the oven to cure. Powder coating is quite expensive. Personally, I would go with a high quality high temp paint and DIY for the simple fact that you can do it cheaper, and if you need to repaint an area down the road say due to a large scratch or mishap, you can take care of it yourself.
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

any ideas on the cost of the high heat powder coat on the big tank.

I see no issue with doing the paint myself. We have two big shops I could do it in and two huge compressors one at our house and one in the shop.
          Where would you recommend I get paint. I know tractor supply has the enamel tractor paint but I am unsure if it is high heat. With 1200 for the trailer 270 for the metal for the fire box and about 300 or so for the base. Plus hinges handles and such I do not need a huge powder coat bill.

Comment

Cost on a tank that size I am guessing between 500 - 1000 bucks. Billing was not my area there. I had my engine for my monte carlo powder coated while I was working there and with my employee discount, it was still 250 bucks.

There are several high temps paints to choose from. Here is one I know is a good paint. POR-15 is a great company. I use their rust conversion products allot.

http://www.por15.com/High-Temperatur...ts/products/8/

Check our their high temp paints. I think black is all they have on this.
            https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
              ...I would go with a high quality high temp paint and DIY for the simple fact that you can do it cheaper, and if you need to repaint an area down the road say due to a large scratch or mishap, you can take care of it yourself.
              Meat Hunter has the best point right there.

I guarantee that if you are gonna use it, you're gonna scratch it or otherwise need to touch it up sometime. If you did it the first time, you'll be able to keep it looking nice moving forward and match the paint too.
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Good point, I did not think of touch ups. Guess I will plan on paint unless I happen to fart out the 1k or so for powder coat.
                Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                Meat Hunter has the best point right there.

I guarantee that if you are gonna use it, you're gonna scratch it or otherwise need to touch it up sometime. If you did it the first time, you'll be able to keep it looking nice moving forward and match the paint too.

Comment

Working...
                X