sausage in the 500 gallon build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sausage in the 500 gallon build.

one of the big reasons for the 500 gallon build is smoking alot of like sausage, and jerky and the whole hog of course.
    I was trying to draw it out and one thing I can not figure out how I want to do it and if it is the right way is how to have it ready for large amount of sausage. Thinking a bar or two across the top so I can hang the links up so they drain. When I laid them in the Bradley the seem to be greasy at the bottom Also do you think I should make the bar or bars removable so they do not get in the way if I go to do a large smoke so turkeys or alot of ribs.
    Seems every time I tell someone I am building it I get a paper long order.

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
    one of the big reasons for the 500 gallon build is smoking alot of like sausage, and jerky and the whole hog of course.
    I was trying to draw it out and one thing I can not figure out how I want to do it and if it is the right way is how to have it ready for large amount of sausage. Thinking a bar or two across the top so I can hang the links up so they drain. When I laid them in the Bradley the seem to be greasy at the bottom Also do you think I should make the bar or bars removable so they do not get in the way if I go to do a large smoke so turkeys or alot of ribs.
    Seems every time I tell someone I am building it I get a paper long order.

If you are going to smoke sausage that is cured.. You need to smoke it low.... If you are having a issue with them (draining .. greasy) you are smoking them to hot... You are rendering out the moisture and fat..

Now if your are smoking fresh sausage, Yes! smoke it a bit hotter..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I did figure that one out. Still great summer sausage but I dang near burnt the cabin down. It was when I had trouble with keeping the bradely up to temp due to a loose cable and finished it in the oven
      Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      If you are going to smoke sausage that is cured.. You need to smoke it low.... If you are having a issue with them (draining .. greasy) you are smoking them to hot... You are rendering out the moisture and fat..

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post

great advice from Ken... should be smoking at a low enuff temp so the fat stays put in the sausage, when you have given them the desired amount of smoke take them to 152 and imediatly into an ice water bath or cold water shower. you can forgoe the 152 degrees if you wish but this is sausage that still would need to be cooked before consuming.
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

use less fat in the sausage - it's an option :-)

How are you envisaging the lid on this thing ?
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

GOing to do a post on the lid. As I have a few questions for it.
            Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            use less fat in the sausage - it's an option :-)

How are you envisaging the lid on this thing ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
              Thinking a bar or two across the top so I can hang the links up so they drain. When I laid them in the Bradley the seem to be greasy at the bottom Also do you think I should make the bar or bars removable so they do not get in the way if I go to do a large smoke so turkeys or alot of ribs.
              When I did mine Tim, I made the bars removable. I used 1/2 pipe.
              On one side I welded a 3/4 inch coupling on the other side I cut the coupling in half, lengthwise( to form a cradle) and welded that in place. Never had them fall out, even with all the trailering I've done. Yet it takes me a couple of seconds to remove em when I want to. Also you might want to hang other stuff (like bacon).
              JT

Comment

I like your idea. Wonder if it could be used with the rack mounts as I could have alot of rack space but stil stick the pig in there.
                Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                When I did mine Tim, I made the bars removable. I used 1/2 pipe.
                On one side I welded a 3/4 inch coupling on the other side I cut the coupling in half, lengthwise( to form a cradle) and welded that in place. Never had them fall out, even with all the trailering I've done. Yet it takes me a couple of seconds to remove em when I want to. Also you might want to hang other stuff (like bacon).

Comment

Working...
                X