A "Virgin" Review of Mad Hunky Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "Virgin" Review of Mad Hunky Rub

So, I got home from a thankless day at the salt mine, and whadda ya know, my Mad Hunky Rub had arrived. Good timing Rich, because I had a couple of Clod Tenders that I was gonna grill tonight.

First off, I took a big nose full of the rub, and let me say, Rich's stuff is ground finer than most of my rubs...I coughed and sneezed for about five minutes!

Next some on the palm of my hand...good flavor and nice heat. This is gonna be good!

Here are my clod tenders ($2.54 / lb...and they are like mock tenderloins...perfect for beef medalians).

One has Mad Hunky, and one has Montreal steak seasoning.

Here they are after resting...

Mad Hunky rubbed tenderloin...

Montreal steak seasoned tenderloin....These clod tenders are ridiculously good...check out all of the juice on these bad boys...even if I cooked them too long.

Plated on top of my salad...Greens, romas, yellow peppers, carrots, green olives, toasted pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, french fried onions, parm cheese, etc.

Drizzled round the edges with Mandarin Sesame dressing.

My thoughts. Damn fine rub Rich. The heat goes away. Wish some more would hang around (But I'm quite a pepper head). Nice use of paprika, Cumin, turbinado sugar? Beautiful color to it. It made a delicious dinner tonight. I can't wait to try it on some ribs outta the Iron Maiden...the flavor with some smokey pork and then a sweet glaze will be AWESOME!

Finally Rich, I think you outta sell this stuff! Thanks for hookin' a brother up!
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Freaking ehh...That looks awesome. Please Fed-Ex me some ASAP.
    Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

That's some fine looking meat. I can say that Rich's rub is some good stuff. I told him I lost my sample and that he should replace it but haven't heard back since.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Damb you know how to make me drool
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

That sure does look good. The next time clods on on sale here I am gonna cut the flat iron out of it and do the same.

Comment

I gotta try this stuff

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
              I gotta try this stuff
              Same here.
              I have heard such great things. I love my own rub so much but can't argue with the masses...
              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Nice review & pics Dana ...... I love the stuff & that's pretty much all I use anymore & gave a bunch out as gifts to my BBQ/Smoking Buddies for Christmas presents & have heard nothing but good reviews...... I find it's pretty much good on anything that a "multi-purpose" type seasoning is used for & told Rich I would try it on as a seasoning for plain tortilla chips when I got some in.... Tonight was my 15 y/o birthday, he wanted Nachos for dinner with Tostito's rounds plain... Perfect timing.... Tried it on them & it's pretty damn good, get more of the heat when eaten raw, like you mentioned, but still good..... I think you are really gonna like it used on Pork & Chicken with a sweet glaze or bbq sauce to finish..... .....

A quick shot of pam & a dusting of Mad Hunky
                sigpic

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it, sir! I have always thought it's not "all that" on beef as-is, but lot of people like it. I add some rosemary and thyme typically for beef.

Yes, the heat does dissipate- BUT... if you give the meat a little mop a bit before done- just water will work- and shake on a bit more rub... you'll be happier :{) Like you said tho- some have said it's pretty spicy- even cooked! Amazing the range of tastes as far as heat/spice goes... and fustrating to guys like me concocting rubs/sauces.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

.even if I cooked them too long.
                    and there's me thinking 'he's cooked that beef perfectly'
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Glad you enjoyed it, sir! I have always thought it's not "all that" on beef as-is, but lot of people like it. I add some rosemary and thyme typically for beef.

Yes, the heat does dissipate- BUT... if you give the meat a little mop a bit before done- just water will work- and shake on a bit more rub... you'll be happier :{) Like you said tho- some have said it's pretty spicy- even cooked! Amazing the range of tastes as far as heat/spice goes... and fustrating to guys like me concocting rubs/sauces.
                      Yeah, When I cook for people, Mrs. Engineer always makes me stand back a few paces with the spice. Great idea for hitting it again just before done, or even a little sprinkle on some freshly pulled pork??? I know there is a big difference between people's tolerance for heat...Mrs. Engineer is a pepper head too, but her mom will choke on a piece of black pepper and start waving her arms around!

Only had beef ready for dinner tonight...Guarantee I'll be smoking some ribs and a butt using this as well. I think it will be dynamite! Thanks again, Rich!

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      and there's me thinking 'he's cooked that beef perfectly'
                      Usually like it a little more rare in the center, especially for over a salad. It was really good, however, and I can eat those "mock Tenderloins" or Clod Tenders every day for that price. They are definitely a hidden little secret.
                      BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        A quick shot of pam & a dusting of Mad Hunky
                        Scott, now that is a fine idea.

The rub is ground fine enough that it would really stick like that. You have inspired me to find some round tortilla chips like that and try it.

Rich, maybe you could add that to your marketing plan...

"bbq rub and Tortilla chip seasoning"
                        BBQ Eng.

Comment

Dang those look good - I have never seen that cut of meat here but you can bet I will be lookin for it now. I also have to get off my A$$ and get my order in to Rich for the rub - Will do that tonite
                          Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                            Mrs. Engineer is a pepper head too, but her mom will choke on a piece of black pepper and start waving her arms around!
                            LOL, sounds like our family. My son and I like it HOT . . . the hotter the better. Mrs. DDave can take a little heat but not much. My daughter can't even eat a Peppermnt Patty and mint flavored toothpaste is out of the question.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Just made fried chicken fingers with Mad Hunky as the seasoning in the flour along with powdered Kosher Salt and CBP..... Uh Yeah, It Was Great!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X